Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th September 2011, 09:10

Rams46 is on a distinguished road
Possible new G4M "Betty Bomber" crash site. Assistance needed!

Hi all,

I work for the Australian government and I am currently working on the island of Malaita in the Solomon Islands. I have been referred to your forum by the Australian War Memorial (AWM). From photos sent to the AWM it has been confirmed as a G4M.

Background

On the 30th of August 2011 I was tasked to evaluate the report of a piece of unexploded ordinance.

Whilst the local land owner showed me to the area of the UXO he also showed me two large aircraft engines and also described the following story.

Following is a combination of stories from a number of locals and have been passed down through generations.
During WWII they observed a large aircraft being followed by a smaller aircraft and the large aircraft had a large amount of smoke emitting from its body. They have observed the plane to crash and on its way down one wing has hit a very large tree. Upon investigating the crash in the jungle some locals have seen one male standing on the remaining section of wing underneath the large tree.

It is also told that there were three occupants in total, two males and one female.

Locals have been too scared to approach the foreigners and let them be.

The locals did not bury any dead or have ever moved any dead from the site.

In the mid 1990’s only one other “white man” has been to the site and he only destroyed UXO’s and it is said that he took no interest in the aircraft.

It is near the following coordinates Lat/Long S 09 02.696
E 160 49.382

Due to terrain and the jungle canopy a accurate GPS fix of the location could not be obtained. The above coordinates are approximately 500m from the site.

The trunk of the “big tree” that has been told in local stories is still intact and could possibly be the final resting place of the crew.

Does anyone have any records of this site near the above Lat/Long.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.