Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th May 2015, 00:46

Roundway is on a distinguished road
Combat between Hampden and FW200 autumn 1943

Edit: The thread title should read Combat between Hudson and FW200 autumn 1942 - apologies)

Before starting I will apologise for the vagueness of this query, but I have very little to work with.

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/p2118.html includes a reference to the award of a DFC to Flt Lt Puplett, for attacking and severely damaging a FW200. (The reference is just below the photos of some headstones.) Another account I've seen, equally vague, records that one of the Condor's engines was on fire when last seen.

Puplitt had been on a routine meteorological reconnaissance sortie in a Hudson of 1406 Meteorological Flight at the time, the track being northwards from Wick to about 65N 00W. Unfortunately there is no Operations Record Book for 1406 Met Flight, but I believe the encounter probably occurred between September and early November 1942.

As the incident must have occurred in daylight I suggest it was probably between 0700 GMT and 1700 GMT (0800-1800 CET)

I'm wondering if there are sufficient clues in this description that can be matched to any German reports.

My apologies again for the vagueness of the description.

Brian

Last edited by Roundway; 5th May 2015 at 00:48. Reason: Wrong title
Old 5th May 2015, 00:50
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Combat between Hampden and FW200 autumn 1943

Brian
I have details as I researched Pupletts death. PM me & I will reply when back in UK in 2 days time
Chris

Quote:
=Roundway;200281]Edit: The thread title should read Combat between Hudson and FW200 autumn 1942 - apologies)

Before starting I will apologise for the vagueness of this query, but I have very little to work with.

http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/p2118.html includes a reference to the award of a DFC to Flt Lt Puplett, for attacking and severely damaging a FW200. (The reference is just below the photos of some headstones.) Another account I've seen, equally vague, records that one of the Condor's engines was on fire when last seen.

Puplitt had been on a routine meteorological reconnaissance sortie in a Hudson of 1406 Meteorological Flight at the time, the track being northwards from Wick to about 65N 00W. Unfortunately there is no Operations Record Book for 1406 Met Flight, but I believe the encounter probably occurred between September and early November 1942.

As the incident must have occurred in daylight I suggest it was probably between 0700 GMT and 1700 GMT (0800-1800 CET)

I'm wondering if there are sufficient clues in this description that can be matched to any German reports.

My apologies again for the vagueness of the description.

Brian
Old 5th May 2015, 00:52

Roundway is on a distinguished road

That was quick, Chris. I'll be in touch - many thanks.

Brian
Old 5th May 2015, 00:55
Alter Hase

Sitting on the beach sipping a whisky-only just before 6 here. Just skimming iPad & saw your request so thought I would reply between sips
Old 6th May 2015, 15:38
Alter Hase

It was 0650 hrs 6 Sep 42 NE Faeroes in Hudson D/1406 Flt. His WOp was wounded and they claimed the FW 200 damaged-nothing on the German side so optimistic.

Puplett also claimed a BV 138 of 2/406 on 27 Jan 43-that is confirmed and I was contacted by one of the German crew's son
Old 20th July 2016, 16:11
Alter Hase

Just an update on this. The combat was with F8+BL captained by Oblt Hoffmann of 3./KG 40. They confirm hitting the aircraft but no damage to themselves