Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th August 2016, 06:49

CaptainAficionado is on a distinguished road
Fighter Call Signs

I'm currently reading The Mighty Eighth War Manual by Roger A. Freeman. In this book there is a list of every call sign used by every American fighter squadron, every fighter group and every airfield of the 8th AF in the ETO.

One thing I am curious to know is the context in which the callsigns were used, or in other words, how did the fighter pilots and the control tower talk to each other using these callsigns on both the A and B channels?

For example, the 361st FG went under the callsign "Wildcat", the squadrons in that FG went under the callsigns "Hubbard", "Wabash" and "Gaylord", and the airfield Bottisham (where they were stationed) went under the callsign "Lakepress".

I have it in my mind that a pilot in, for example, the 374th FS would say "This is Hubbard to Lakepress" when communicating with the control tower of his home airfield, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

Thanks