Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 25th August 2005, 23:41

JaganP is on a distinguished road
Royal Indian Air Force in the Second World War

Dear All,

I am the webmaster of the unofficial Indian Air Force site at http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF

We have a full fledged WW2 section hosted here
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1940s/

This talks about the Indian pilots and airmen who contributed to the allied war effort in WW2. We have traced out several surviving veterans and tried to record some of their expereinces for the site. We have also got an impressive collection of photos and other material that can be accessed above.

We also hope to have a complete list of indian officers who served in WW2 in a few months.

As always, we are always looking for suggestions to improve it. Equally important we are looking for contributions in terms of photographs, information etc that can be put up on our site.

Thanks and regards

Jagan
Old 26th August 2005, 01:22

G. Warrener is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Royal Indian Air Force in the Second World War

Hello Jagan

Your website achievements are impressive. As a "Brit" I would welcome an Indian point of view about the Japanese???

Generally - I have 'accepted' the thesis that the Japanese 'activities' in SE Asia during the late 1930's and WW2 showed to the colonial nations of GB (India, Malaya) France (Indo-China) and the Netherlands (Indonesia) that the 'white' presence was not to be seen or could not be maintained as permanent.

But when I ascertain the level of Indian sacrifice for the 'Empire' from which few Indians profited - and balance this with M. Ghandi's clear and brilliant denial of 'British' Imperialism only a couple of post-war years later...then I ask myself - were the efforts of the RIAF an important factor to an Indian 'mindset' in proving that the colonial power was no longer 'decisive' or welcome as an ongoing presence - despite the sympathetic nature of Mountbatten?

Graham
Je t'aime mélancolie.....
Old 28th August 2005, 02:43
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Royal Indian Air Force in the Second World War

Jagan
I see no section on Indian airmen on British isles. A friendly pilot trained two of them in an OTU.
Old 28th August 2005, 02:58

Quote:
But when I ascertain the level of Indian sacrifice for the 'Empire' from which few Indians profited - and balance this with M. Ghandi's clear and brilliant denial of 'British' Imperialism only a couple of post-war years later...then I ask myself - were the efforts of the RIAF an important factor to an Indian 'mindset' in proving that the colonial power was no longer 'decisive' or welcome as an ongoing presence - despite the sympathetic nature of Mountbatten?
I think the Indian Armed Forces has been kept relatively isolated by the Independence movement by the leaders of that era. Gandhi, Nehru and others. This is not because that they saw the Army as a British tool, but more because they knew that the officers and men would be needed for a post independence indian army.

It is a fact that while the 'men' were seen as soldiers by profession and loyal to the british, the 'Indian Officers' who started their careers in the 20s and 30s were seen in a more sympathetic light by the political movement. They were actively discouraged from political leanings or activism by the Indian freedom movement. this discouragement was to make sure that the british did not have a reason to discontinue the indianisation program on the basis of 'suspected loyalty'. so leader after leader had very clearly indicated to the indian officers that thier contribution is to ensure that the indianisation program is sucessful, not to give the british to point fingers and kick them out and make sure that they prove that they are equals with the british officers on all aspects.

The RIAF was a small cog in the overall wheel of indian armed forces. It did bring in some new untested concepts in the 30s.. - like the first 'all indian units' that were even missing in the indian army. There was also the concept of 'mixed all class-all religion units' - something the Indian Army did not adapt till 1945.

The performance of the officers (and men) proved to the indian public that they were at par with the british , and the second world war certainly hastened india's freedom. I can just visualise India still being a British controlled dominion till the late 1950s if not for WW2.
Old 28th August 2005, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski
Jagan
I see no section on Indian airmen on British isles. A friendly pilot trained two of them in an OTU.
Dear Franek,

The link is there "Indians in the RAF"
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Hi...PilotsRAF.html

Another couple of links are also there under "odds and ends"

regards

Jagan
Old 28th August 2005, 04:09
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Oops! Sorry, I missed it! But I think there is plenty to be added. I think I have seen a photo of a 32 Sqn Hurricane, which, among other nationalities, had India under the windscreen.
Old 29th August 2005, 01:21
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I had seen the website some time ago, just before the Shuttle Crash.

In WW2 several Indian aircrew lost their lives here over European Skies.

A couple of pilots in Wellingtons , another in a Mitchell as well as others in single motor a/c.

night

Alex