Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th July 2005, 16:44

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Obergefreiter Albrecht Risop

On the night of 26 March 1942, Wim Johnen was shot down by return fire from a Stirling bomber. While Johnen was able to parachute to safety, his Bordfunker, Obergefreiter Albrecht Risop, had been killed by the gun fire and his body was later recovered from the wreck of the Bf 110.
I have a photograph of Risop's grave, taken a short time after the burial, but can anyone tell me where he was buried?
I have, in the past, visited an internet site that gave detailed listings of where German airmen are buried, but have since lost the address. Does anyone know of this site and could perhaps point me in the right direction? Many thanks in anticipation.

Last edited by David P. Williams; 15th July 2005 at 16:45. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 15th July 2005, 20:12

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough
Re: Obergefreiter Albrecht Risop

David

Try this

http://www.volksbund.de/
and the Axis History factbook site has a guide for it's use.(http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=3595)

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122

Last edited by Andy Mitchell; 15th July 2005 at 23:21. Reason: more information
Old 15th July 2005, 20:42
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, interesting. I checked the copy of the VLM I have and the following remark was written on it;

"Grablage; Ausserhalb Gemeinde Südlohn an der Wallhecke Links, am Weg"
This would indicate a field grave, the site of the VDK mentioned the same. I would suggest writing a letter to the VDK to confirm the exact grave site.

John.
Old 16th July 2005, 19:05

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you both. John, your information concerning Suedlohn is great because that is where Johnen's aircraft actually crashed, so it would seem reasonable to expect him to have been buried close by. Thank you both once again.
Old 16th July 2005, 22:36
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

David, yes that is close to the site of the crash. What wonders me is that it sounds that the field grave still exists......well, if I have time in the near future I will have a look....Südlohn is not that far from where I live.