Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th July 2006, 20:43

Jerome Ribeiro is on a distinguished road
Post Luftwaffe Bomber Units over Troyes-Barberey on 10 May 1940

Hello Everyone,

On May'40, the 10th, the Lufwaffe launched a massive attacks by bombing french airfields located in the NE of France. The aims of the Luftwaffe was to nail on the ground the french air force.

In this way, Luftwaffe bombers attacked with incendiary bombs the airfield of Troyes-Barberey, NE of France. 3 bombers from the GB I/38 were destroyed on the tarmac. Heinkel 111 were reported as the bombers which released the bombs. Nothing is less on...

I have no information on this unit. Hence my question: Does anyone know which unit(s) could carried out this bombing missions over Troyes-Barberey at this date?

Thanking you in advance
Jerome
Old 24th July 2006, 22:33

Dan Gilberti
Re: Luftwaffe Bomber Units over Troyes-Barberey on 10 May 1940

Hi
I found Barberey attack, (but am 11/6/40 ) in die book from Wolfgang Dieritch about KG 55 story :
11/06/1940
Verfolgung des über die Marne zurückweichenden Feindes .
Angriffe auf kolonnen südlich der Marne une Seine und auf Flughafen Troyes ...
I found nothing in KG 51 Edelweiss story

Best Regards, Dan

Last edited by Dan Gilberti; 24th July 2006 at 23:02. Reason: Forget détail
Old 25th July 2006, 20:36

Bonjour Dan,

It is very interesting what you mentionned. According several french magazines ie IPMS VolIII n°3, Fana n°332 on this subject, it is mentioned that 3 bombers were damaged on 10 may'40 following a german raid. Moreover, on last issue of les Ailes Françaises N°3 p6 you have a picture showing an Amiot Bomber n°63 completely destroyer - not damaged!

It may occured several succesives bomber waves performed by several german units starting on may, the 10th. In this way, the KG55 carried out bombing mission over Barberey the day after.

Hence my question to determine which potential KG units carried out bombing mission over Barberey or outskirts on May, the 10th.
Does anyone have any information on KG units that performed such mission?

Thank you very much for help
Cheers

Jerome
Old 25th July 2006, 21:49

Dan Gilberti

Not easy ...
I can't find datas about an air attack of troyes Before June 1940...
Myself, i do not have testimony.
We have only these photographs from the SHAA (now SHD), (french historical services) would have it there an error at the beginning thousand times repeat and repeat and repeat without serieuse checking, it would not be the first time.
The principal heavy German units in the area were KG 55 and 51, Greiff KG 55 used more He 111 than Edelweiss KG 51 more provided with Ju 88..
Troyes does not appear in the lists of the objectives of May 1940 of theses big units, if it acts of a target of opportunity, we will have well evil to find the person in charge...

I do not have data for KG 53 and 54 which could also have intervened...
They could also be repeat attacks Air-Ground from Junker 87 units ...

For moment, i found not interesting German loss or french claim circa Troyes for his May 1940 ...
Bsrg, Dan
Old 26th July 2006, 11:12

Thumbs up Re: Luftwaffe Bomber Units over Troyes-Barberey on 10 May 1940

Hello,

True. It's true. Too many articles from magazines don't check deeply the archives or sources and copy misprint year after year. This is not the first time unfortunately! Luckily for us, we have the chance to detecte it and share the view thru forums and check in into archives.

Re Troyes-Barberey attacks, I don't know whether or not the bombing was done at the first light on May, the 10th as mentioned on SHD/A photos. Misprint or not? I don't know. Despite several probes in archives, books or magazines, nothing is settled to date about the date of 1st bombing over the airfield. The airfield Troyes-Barberey is still existiding nowodays and maybe the local land archives at Troyes or gendarmerie (police) report at this date is stored there and contain the response... I need to plan a break to this town.

To sum up the situation of potential KG involved in this bombing mission, we have:
  • KG 55 (He 111)
  • KG 51 (Ju 88)
  • KG 53 - To be confirmed
  • KG 54 - To be confirmed
  • I.(St.)/186 (Ju 86) - To be confirmed
  • I./St. G 76 (Ju 86) - To be confirmed
  • III/KG3 (Do-17Z) - To be confirmed
  • 4/KG2 (Do-17Z) - To be confirmed
Does anyone have info about these units over Troyes area on May, 10th ?

Many Thanks
Regards

Jerome