Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th April 2014, 17:03

lostcause is on a distinguished road
B-24H Bail Out Procedure

I'd like to know the bail out procedure for a B-24H. Who exited where and how? I am especially interested in the navigator. I understand he went out through the front wheel doors but I'm curious as to how that was done given the doors would be shut in flight.
Old 20th April 2014, 20:35

udf_00 is on a distinguished road
Re: B-24H Bail Out Procedure

AD LIB: Flying The B-24 Liberator in World War II, by William Carrigan
Ch. 7, Bailout and ditching, pp 67-68
"...
2. Pilot directs navigator or bombardier to open the bomb-bay doors and jettison bombs (careful, baby, bombs in Safe) to provide clearance from
jumping; navigator will open the nose-wheel hatch by pulling down on the two red handles at station 1.0 on the cross-member under navigator's
table; tail-gunner opens belly hatch. These are the three best bail-out exits...
5. Order and method of leaving the aicraft:
a. Navigator, bombardier and nose-turret gunner leave the aircraft by the nose-wheel hatch, one after the other, facing front of the ship,
crouching near opening with hands on each side and lunging headfirst and forward.
b. Tail-gunner leaves from the belly hatch followed by left waist-gunner, by crouching facing the front of the airplane,
and lunging headfirst and forward through the hatch.
c. Ball-turret gunner and right waist-gunner leave through the rear bomb-bay; flight-engineer, radio-operator, copilot and pilot all leave
in that order through the bomb bay, crouching on the catwalk facing the front of the airplane and lunging headfirst and as much forward as
possible.
Warning: it is extremely important in all cases to face the front of the B-24 and lunge out and forward headfirst.
The airplane is travelling fast and if you jump toward the rear there is danger of being slapped up against the airplane.
If you jump feet first, the wind can catch your legs and bang your head on the edge of the hatch.
If the airplane is in a turn or a spin, lunge toward the inside."
Old 21st April 2014, 04:52

lostcause is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. A jettison hatch make a lot more sense than going through the actual nose wheel doors. The reason I asked is I'm trying to find info for the daughter of a navigator who was KIA over Munich (MACR 6915, 7/19/44, 485th BG, 329th SQ, B-24H 44-40444). His name was Lt. Clement Hurly. She was only 18 months old when he died and doesn't know much about the events surrounding his death. She is on her way to Munich for a memorial service that will be held at the crash site.

From what I've found he helped the bombardier get out but the plane went into a spin after the left wing came off trapping Lt. Hurley, the pilot and 3 gunners. The bombardier stated he left out the nose wheel, thus my confusion.

Thank again for the info.
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:02

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

When is this memorial service? I am stationed an hour and a half north of Munich and might be able to assist as I am also fluent in German. Danny