Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th May 2024, 15:05
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
"Fieseler" of Arado 196 11 October 1943

I recently was able to find an image of the scoreboard of the French Groupes de Chasse GCI/2, I/7 and II/7. It listed all the kills obtained in September and October 1943, a total of 21. There are no dates but the are tallies. From this I read they claimed 4 Ju52, 3 Arado (196), 3 Ju88, 2 Me323, 2 Fw190, 5 Do217, a "Fieseler" and a Bf109. From my research I could identify dates for all these except one. The "Fieseler". According to my records this can only be the victory claimed near Ajaccio on 11 October 1943 by sltt Marcel Martin and sgt Albert Causse of GCI/3. However all sources state they claimed an Arado 196 floatplane on this date(the fourth claimed by the French Spitfires, the other three were aircraft of 2./Bordfl Gr.126 shot down in September). A "Fieseler" would be to my mind a Fi156 "Storch" which as we know is considerably different.

Can anyone find either an Arado 196 or Fieseler Storch lost on this date? Or make a guess as to what the French pilots though was a "Fieseler".

best regards

Keith