Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 18th April 2010, 15:33

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
F/Sgt Ray Grayston 617 Squadron

Heard on Friday, that F/Sgt Ray Grayston from 617 Squadron sadly passed away on Thursday 15th April.

Ray was one of the aircrew who actually participated in the Dams Raid in May 1943.

A very nice man indeed.

My thoughts are with his wife and son,

David.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:23

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road
Re: F/Sgt Ray Grayston 617 Squadron

David,

Sad news indeed. He was a great guy and was very proud of his service in 617 Squadron.

Mark Copeland
Old 29th April 2010, 03:58

Bandlaw Charlie is on a distinguished road
Re: F/Sgt Ray Grayston 617 Squadron

My childhood was full of the stories of great courage witnessed in the 2 Great wars.....the men that gave their all were my heroes for a long time...and most have gone now.

I remember trying to reach Mr. Grayston in the 1990s after having been put in touch with him by a charming man called Ted Wass...alas he is also now more....

Mr. Grayston erupted into a complete monster on the phone and shouted at me...I remembered the content of that call and its effects on a young man who never meant any harm whatsoever..and was for many years reluctant to even try and contact former veterans.

I know that there are times when they must get fed up with the attention they receive...but better they receive it from well intentioned people then not at all.

I extend my sympathies to his Family..but I will not mourn his loss.

Instead I will think of my Uncle who recently lost his fight with cancer and bore everything with incredible courage.....without ever having lifted a finger in anger....