Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd July 2011, 22:43

karpkatcher is on a distinguished road
HALIFAX BB214

I am currently researching the past of my father-in-law, H.G.Dryhurst, one of the pilots on bb 214. If anyone can help with details of the aircraft and its history, letter's on the side= PM-? shot down 28/9 august 1942, crash landed in lake laach WNW of koblenz. I would also like to know the details, such as, was there a centre upper gun turret? and the colour scheme ect as i am building a model. Does anyone know what happened to the pilot Ofw Fritz Schellwat, who shot down bb214, did he survive the war? did he continue in aviation? Also, did the halifax crash with its bombs still onboard? Unfortunatly Harold Dryhurst died in an aviation accident at Luton airport in 1967, 8yrs before i met and married his eldest daughter, so all i have, is what i can glean from your good selves. Kindest regards, Ray.
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:09

Khorat is on a distinguished road
Re: HALIFAX BB214

Hi Ray,
the Halifay crashed in the Laacher lake, parts of the plane recoverd during wartime (tail and parts of the wing, also 2 or 3 engines), a friend was diving there in the 70´s told me, at the crash side only few debris (unidentified) visible at the sea ground in that area - very muddy area), so it´s believed that bombs still at the crash side today its forbidden by the german goverment to dive in that area of the lake.

khorat
Old 27th July 2011, 17:45

Hi Khorat, thanks for the imformation you sent, i had high hopes that BB 214 would be raised, but at least i now know that is a unrealistic hope. Best wishes, Ray.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:14
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

Karpkatcher,

Do you have the details of the crew listed in Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol 3 - 1942 by WR Chorley (Midland Counties Publications)?

If not I can provide details from page 198.

Incidentally my father in law was also on 103 Sqn in 1941-42 on ground duties but left for the Far East in April.

BTW - BB214 was a B Mark II Halifax but this mark of Halifax could have had the upper turret or had it removed or even had the front turret replaced with a glass nose
Old 29th July 2011, 11:39

Thumbs up Re: HALIFAX BB214

Larry, thanks for your offer of information on bb 214, i will take all that you are offering, with considerable gratitude. I also intend purcase the publication you mention, can you reccomend a suitable outlet? Incidently, did your father-in-law survive the war? Harold survived and was then killed in a training flight at luton in 1967. Best wishes, Ray.
Old 30th July 2011, 00:02
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

KarpKatcher

Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol 3 - 1942 by WR Chorley (Midland Counties Publications) ISBN 0 904597 89 X was first published in 1994 and is still available today from publishers and online book shops. I've just realised that was 17 years ago but seems like yesterday!

As for the crew of BB214 the above book lists the following as the crew and the order they are in denotes their role, with pilot first and air gunners last. Interestingly a P/O and F/Sgt were in the crew but never out ranked the Sgt Skipper in the air!

Sgt HG Dryhurst - POW
Sgt JW Platt - Killed in Action
Sgt AA Roberts RAAF - POW
P/O VMM Morrison RCAF - KIA
F/S JJ Carey RCAF - KIA
Sgt BF Hughes RNZAF - POW
Sgt JL MacLachlan- KIA

Those who died are buried in Rheinburg War Cemetry but Platt and Carey were never found so are commemorated at Runnymede Memorial.

Take off from Elsham Wolds was 2037 hrs on 28th August on an op to Nurmberg.

NB - my father in law later fought with the RAF Regt in Burma and hated every moment and luckily he did survive till old age
Old 30th July 2011, 16:26

Larry, thanks for info, its nice to hear when someone survives the war, and then goes on to lead a full life, so many didn't. Best wishes, Ray.