Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th May 2005, 07:59

Arvo L. V.
Feliks WAITKUS (Feliksas VAITKUS) B-17/29 chief test pilot

Esteemed forum members;

I am trying to locate some more definitive information on the right honourable Mr. Feliks WAITKUS - am American aviator of Lithuanian heritage. WAITKUS retired from the USAAF in the early 1930's, flew the "Lituanica II" (a modified Vega 5) from New York to Kaunas in the mid-1930's and was recalled to active duty in 1941 by the U.S. military. FYI - Feliksas VAITKUS is the Lithuanian spelling of the name.

In 1941, as I understand the history, he was made chief test pilot for the Boeing B-17 program (in Seattle, WA, USA), later also the chief test pilot for the B-29 program.

It is this era that interests me the most - where can I turn to to find out more about WAITKUS's activities as the chief test pilot at Boeing and - are there any photographs (or descriptions) existing, which might show the specific "test" aicraft WAITKUS may have operated. My goal is to be able to prepare some color art work on at least one B-17 and one B-29 associated with WAITKUS.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance efforts, which may be rendered on my behalf.

Regards;

Arvo L. V.
Old 18th May 2005, 09:17

Audrius
Re: Feliks WAITKUS (Feliksas VAITKUS) B-17/29 chief test pilot

hello Arvo
unfortunatelly I don't have any information you are looking for, but being a native Lithuanian I am glad to know your interest and to be informed about Lithuanian within USAAF.
I would appreciate if you could share any information on this topic in future.
Do you know if Mr. Waitkus was born in USA or in Lithuania, perhpas could try to find a track of him here in Lithuania.
Keep in touch!
Audrius