Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th January 2012, 03:50
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Edward E. Hunt KIA Nov. 8, 1944

Renée,
In addition to Steve Blake's book on the 354th FG, you might also get a copy of Paul Sailer's biography of Don Beerbower, The Oranges Are Sweet. http://paulmsailer.com/Home.php As well as being a bio of Beerbower, it is also a history of the 353rd FS up to August 1944 when he was KIA. The index lists many references to Ed Hunt.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:06

NUPPOL is on a distinguished road

Emmer links

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/search...earchid=263727
Old 7th February 2013, 05:36

rborst is on a distinguished road

Hi qltngal-
I came across this thread via Google while I was researching a photo I have of my dad painting some nose art on a P-51. The nose art takes the form of a person's name. I was trying to find that person's name via Google. My father's name is Alfred Borst. He was a crew chief (his description) with the 353rd fighter squadron.

You mentioned in your initial post that your dad's P-51 was named Jeanne Mio and that's the name my dad is painting on the P-51 engine cowl shown in the attachment. In the background you can see another cowling panel that he has finished painting that looks like it might read Ready Eddy. I can't say for sure that either of these panels belonged to the aircraft your father flew but it would be a peculiar coincidence if there were two P-51s named Jeanne Mio.

I thought you might like to have this photo to add to your collection of keepsakes of your father's wartime service. The photo attached is quite small due the posting regulations of the forum. If you would like a larger version please send me a PM and I would happy to email this to you.

The number 824 is stamped on the back of the photo. No other information was written on the photo so I don't know when or where the picture was taken or who the photographer was.

Finally, may I ask who Jeanne Mio is?
Old 7th February 2013, 14:27
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborst View Post
Finally, may I ask who Jeanne Mio is?
I believe Jeanne was Edward Hunts wife and qltngal's Mom.

Italian/Spanish/etc. - Jeanne Mio
English - My Jeanne

Last edited by Revi16; 7th February 2013 at 20:09.
Old 7th February 2013, 15:46

rpeck350 is on a distinguished road

Nice photo.Looks like the panel for "Ready Eddy" is for the right side of the nose because of the dark paint(black?) on the far right of the panel were as the panel with "Jeanne Mio" on it has the black? on the left side of the panel.
Both names on one Mustang?
Rick
PS: after writting this I checked Steve Blake's 354 FG book from Schifer and he has both names for the P-51B so that is not news but now know what the letters look like.
Thanks again rborst for posting.

Last edited by rpeck350; 8th February 2013 at 17:20.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:40

rpeck350 -

That's an interesting thought. It hadn't occurred to me. Could be.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:44

Revi16 -

Thanks for letting me know that.
Old 13th February 2013, 16:46

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Did you ever request the IDPF that Frank Olynyk mentioned? If not, I can provide you with the address where you can request it. If the IDPF is already scanned then it will take very little time, otherwise a few months. Danny
Old 5th July 2013, 23:27

qltngal is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for this information. I haven't looked here in forever, I thought I had gotten everything I was going to get. My Dad died when my Mom (Jeanne) was 3 mo pregnant with me so I never knew him. I started researching about 5 years ago and now know so much more about him & what he did. I would love to have a better copy of this picture. I don't think the background plane is his. When he went back after his last leave (Aug ' 44) he got the P-51D (the Ready Edy) & the Jeanne Mio (a P-51B)was reassigned. But what a great picture. Thank you so much. Let me know if you can send me a better copy & what info you need. You all on this site have been awesome in helping me out and it is greatly appreciated.
Old 6th July 2013, 16:58
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Great work, guys, for all of you who have helped. That's what this forum does best!