Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th November 2014, 00:56

MarvinNauman is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever found Luftwaffe Kill Reports?

Has anyone ever requested and received “Luftwaffe Kill Reports”? How did you get them?
Step 1: (Have) For my research on my Lost Uncles B-17, I have found 6 Luftwaffe Kill claims (1 line listings: Pilot, location, time, aircraft, etc) for Oct 4, 1943 that attacked his formation.
Step 2: (Don’t have) How do I get copies of each complete “kill reports” or “½ Kill Reports” that the Luftwaffe pilots filled out (includes details of the battle & what happened to the plane& crew being attacked). Sometimes each report was a page long.
Many thanks in advance.
Old 5th November 2014, 16:26
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone ever found Luftwaffe Kill Reports?

Combat Reports are rare; what seems to be the norm are the summaries which you have already
Old 5th November 2014, 16:37

Thanks Chris.

I'm aware they can be hard to get.
I had one sent to me out of the totally unexpected & out of the blue several months ago. It was of a LW Commander Pilot that had attacked another B-17 in the formation that day. That single report put me on to the quest of finding the other Kill Reports for that formation that day.

I figure if that report survived... the others in that group should have survived also.
Old 5th November 2014, 18:10

G.R.Morrison

I'm afraid that survival of Luftwaffe paperwork is fragmentary at best. One respected archivist has estimated that perhaps 95% of it is "gone" -- but bits and pieces still occasionally surface.

When searching through Record Group 242 in the National archives, I ran across a (very) few, with witness reports, from the III/JG 3 in the home defense in 1943, but the microfilm rolls' contents are a hodge-podge in themselves. Technical analysis of a Soviet bomber, a speech from Goering to industrialists, bombing-raid damage assessment, a part of a unit war diary - you get the idea.

There's a scene that may serve to illustrate the dilemma, early in Oliver Hirschbiegel's Der Untergang (Downfall, in English), where clouds of paperwork are being tossed, and settle into a building's courtyard. Doesn't seem likely any of this was picked-up, sorted, preserved...

Good luck in your hunt, you may get lucky, GRM
Old 5th November 2014, 19:30
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

GR,

By any chance did the fragment of the war diary that you ran across have anything to do with the 1939-40 period?
Old 5th November 2014, 19:43

G.R.Morrison

Sorry, Larry, no gems:

"a (very) few, with witness reports, from the III/JG 3 in the home defense in 1943"

The reason they were noteworthy TO ME was that they mentioned a particular pilot (Surau) and his machine ("gelbe 6" of 9./JG 3).

GRM
Old 5th November 2014, 20:00

Question Re: Anyone ever found Luftwaffe Kill Reports?

Also of Note:
I understand that the Germans microfilmed the Luftwaffe claims & sent them west (?) where they were intercepted by the US and copies sent to England & are supposed to be archived at the imperial War Museum in London. 1943 Claims should be in it... but Kill-reports? Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.
Old 5th November 2014, 23:20
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Marv -

Here ya' go:

http://lesliesawyer.com/claims/tonywood.htm

Scroll down about halfway to "OKL Fighter Claims".

L.
Old 5th November 2014, 23:34
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

...but these are not combat reports but the listings of kills. I refer to my & GRM's earlier postings
Old 6th November 2014, 02:13

Larry, Chris is right... those are the Listings of Kills... I'm looking for the the "Combat Reports" filled out in detail by the pilots.

Tags
kill claims, kill reports, luftwaffe