Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 11th October 2007, 16:18

ClausL is on a distinguished road
Wolfgang Falck books

Hi,

I see there are two books on Wolfgang Falck :

"Falkenjahre. Erinnerungen 1910-2003" by Wolfgang Falck and

"Wolfgang Falck:The Happy Falcon" (Eagle Editions)

Is this one and the same book and just a translation or are these different books

If so, what would be the best ?

Rgds
Thks
Old 14th October 2007, 11:40

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wolfgang Falck books

Hi,

By far the better of the two books you mention is "Falkenjahre. Erinnerungen 1910-2003" by Wolfgang Falck and published by Dr Kurt Braatz.

It has been meticulously researched and gives a real insight into this great man's life and career. Like all of Kurt's books the quality of print and photographs is excellent and worth every Euro. At the moment it is only in German, but i'm sure it wont be long before an English version is available. Drop Kurt a line and i'm sure he'll give you a rough time scale as to when we can expect it.

The other book you mention isn't worth the money or effort to read. It is more of a 'coffee table' photographic reference and has very little personal insight or information.
Hope this help, all the best, David.
Old 14th October 2007, 14:58

ClausL is on a distinguished road

Hi David,

Thks a lot for the info.

As German is not a problem for me I'l go for Kurt's book

All the best
Old 14th October 2007, 16:56

judyc

The Happy Falcon, Wolfgang Falck's Autobiography was compiled with the direct hands-on help of Wolf himself. Taking over 5 years to complete, the basis for the text was over 30 hours of tapes created by Falck in order to provide his life's story, particularly the war time years. After translating the tape all historical notes were meticulously researched in order to present factual study of Falck and his life.
It is printed on high gloss paper and presents Wolf's personal photo albums aiding in providing the reader with a close-up and personal view of Falck throughout his years. There are full color profiles of his Me 110 as well.
Actually, it is not "Just a coffee table book", but rather a complete autobiography of Wolfgang Falck highlighting his War time career.
The Happy Falcon was released about 1 year prior to the other and actually both compliment each other rather nicely.
They are both actually worth the money and worth the read.
JudyC