Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th July 2012, 05:23
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vladimir Lavrinekov-Strangling a German pilot.

Is there any truth to this story or is it just another Soviet propaganda story from the Great Patriotic War.

The excerpt is from "Horrido" by Toliver:
"It is said that Second Lieutenant Vladimir Lavrinekov (thirty victories) shot down a Bf109 which crash landed in a field.The German pilot ran to a nearby ditch to hide. The Soviet Lt. landed his airplane beside the bf109, ran over to the ditch, choked the German to death, the took off again"

Vladimir Lavrinekov was credited with 35 vixtories and served with the 4th IAP and the 9th GIAP.
Old 17th July 2012, 08:28

Nikita Egorov
Re: Vladimir Lavrinekov-Strangling a German pilot.

You mixed the definitions. This is not Soviet war propaganda, this is Western cold war propaganda.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:07
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

There was some discussion here as well: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=7326

Conclusion here: a false story.

Regards,

Leendert
Old 17th July 2012, 15:35

MarkRS is on a distinguished road

What was actually said in this thread was:

"For example, in this book authors wrote that Soviet ace Lavrinenkov landed and strangled in the land German pilot from crashed plane. Soviet historian asked about this Lavrinenkov in 60th years. Lavrinenkov said that is was false and that "it is good that authors of book didn't write that he gnawed throat of German pilot with help of teeth."

i.e. Someone later (much later, I'm not sure if he means 60 years later or that Lavrinekov was 60) asked Lavrinekov if he did it and he denied it. Hardly conclusive proof whether he did or did not strangle the German.

Mark
Old 17th July 2012, 16:19
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was a false story. But it was one of those gnawing questions that I've had for years.