Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th November 2020, 13:54
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Photo Salmson D2 Phrygane

Hello,

Currently on delcampe there is a photo of a Salmson D2 Phrygane at:

https://www.delcampe.net/fr/collecti...133422843.html

It carries the white band introduced in July 1940.

Is anyone able to identify the unit operating this machine or indeed any unit operating Phryganes post July 1940?

Regards,

Clint
Old 21st November 2020, 00:13
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photo Salmson D2 Phrygane

Missed out on your post Clint

Can't help with your questions, except that photo has been published before and said to be with one of the SAL's at Charente.
What interests me though are the digits 361.

If we play with the thought they were the aircraft ID, ie No 361 there is no corresponding civil registration as far as I have found.

My Salmson list goes to No 325 (F-ARDA), and after that I have a jump to No 402 (F-AOXG).

Cheers
Stig
Old 21st November 2020, 01:04

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

I have the Salmson D.6 Cri-Cri F-ARBZ as No 325
F-ARDA was a Maubousin 123 Corsaire as No 143
F-AOXG I have as Salmson D.6 No 402
Old 21st November 2020, 09:58
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thank you both for the replies. Any construction number I have seen for a Phrygane is much lower than the 300 range so I think it unlikely that 361 is related to the construction number.So a follow up question is 361 a viable number for a SAL? Also did these continue to exist following defeat? that is to say, why paint the white band on a machine that will not see subsequent service rather than being scrapped?

Regards,

Clint
Old 21st November 2020, 11:24
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Willis View Post
I have the Salmson D.6 Cri-Cri F-ARBZ as No 325
F-ARDA was a Maubousin 123 Corsaire as No 143
F-AOXG I have as Salmson D.6 No 402
You are 100% correct Tom

I shouldn't be doing these things late at night....
As an add on bonus, I will soon receive a new pair of glasses from Smart Eyes, which in the final end means I will also be able to again read what I have once written (my Salmson list is in handwriting and not computerized)

The previous published statement, makes no comment regarding the digits seen on the fuselage. Since very little official paintwork on an aircraft is done randomely or by co-incidence, the digits simply has to mean something. In my mind they can either be connected to the aircraft's initial (manufacturer's ID, aka c/n, or they are a part of the "Establishment's" (user's) ID, which to me was most likely the Matricule Militaire!

And, yes Clint, I am aware that the Cri-Cri basically took over the complete Salmson production line, but there is still a need to explain the gaps in Salmson's production figures.

Cheers
Stig