Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd January 2008, 00:04
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Unknown RAF pilot?

I wonder if anyone can help shed some light on a mystery?

On Tues 8th September 1942 the body of an unidentified RAF pilot was found on the foreshore at Worthing, Sussex. On his tunic were "...three medal ribbons with two bars". He carried a service revolver with "Paddy & Doris" engraved on the grip.

Local searches at the Worthing Register office have not revealed any record of this discovery, and I have searched un vain through the local undertakers records and CWGC burials locally but cannot find any obvious match to this man. There are a few locally buried "unknown" airmen, but I have yet to match these unknowns to the Worthing discovery. In any event, that does not get us any closer to an i/d even if it solves the mystery of where he was buried. Of course, it could be that he was subsequently identified and buried as a named casualty. On the other hand, he could still be somewhere as an unknown.

All we know is that he died on or before the 8 September 1942, that two of his medals had a bar to them and he had a revolver marked "Paddy & Doris". We do not have a rank.

Its a bit difficult to reconcile what the three ribbons were, but it might be reasonable to assume the owner was someone called Paddy. Its easy, I know, to put two and two together and make five....but....? I am sure most of you will be ahead of me now. Maybe someone could offer other possibilities or suggestions? Or a positive identity of the casualty and/or a location of his burial place?

Andy Saunders

Last edited by Andy Saunders; 22nd January 2008 at 00:58.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:21

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: Unknown RAF pilot?

Andy - Possibility ?
Brendon " Paddy " Finucane
Irish RAF Ace , Wing Commander
Ditched English Channel 1942 KIA
Mike
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:30
Alter Hase

That was exactly where I was leading, between the lines, in my final paragraph....! There are certainly some uncanny links.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:39

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Saunders View Post
On his tunic were three medal ribbons, two of them had a bar.
Paddy had the DSO and DFC**, so doesn't fit that description.
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:44
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

From my own research in to unknown airmen washed ashore it could be that the pilot died up to a month before being washed up. Could it be that he was a pilot lost during the Dieppe Raid on 19th August?

Was F/Lt PD Poole (lost in Spitfire EP342 of 610 Sqn) a Patrick or Paddy Poole by chance?
Old 22nd January 2008, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Was F/Lt PD Poole (lost in Spitfire EP342 of 610 Sqn) a Patrick or Paddy Poole by chance?
Name: POOL, PETER DESMOND
Initials: P D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 610 Sqdn
Date of Death: 19/08/1942
Service No: 83281
Additional information: Son of Gordon Desmond and Agatha Eleanor Pool; husband of Diana Eileen Pool, of Thriplow, Cambridgeshire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 66.
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:00
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit1 View Post
Paddy had the DSO and DFC**, so doesn't fit that description.
I have edited my original post to the EXACT wording on the report which I ought to have transcribed exactly in the firsr place. However, the wording is potentially a little ambiguous. Where were the two bars? On two ribbons, or two bars on one??

Andy
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:18

There would have been a ribbon for the DSO and a ribbon for the DFC. The DFC ribbon would have indicated the awarding of two further DFCs.

And as far as I know Paddy is still on Runnymede as no body has been found. One would think that a rank would have been noted, especially a Wing Commander's one with the ribboning at the cuffs.
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:48

Fairlop

Hi Andy,

This mystery has a Czechoslovak trail. I am out of my home and the sources for details but that airman should be Czechoslovak ace W/O Dygryn-Ligoticky of the 1 Sqn. He did not return from Intruder action in Hurricane IIC on 4th June 1942. Flak over Le Havre could be a possible reason for his death according to report of another Czech member of the Squadron, F/L "Kut" Kuttelwascher DFC & Bar who noted a fierce barrage on some a/c there when returned from own night action.
Three medal ribbons were DFM, Czechoslovak War Cross with two Bars and Medal for Bravery.
The revolver was his passion and the dedication was for his English wife killed sometimes in 1941, and a dog (?).
W/O Dygryn-Ligoticky is burried at Westwell.
If you want contact me off board on fairlop AT quick.cz address.

Regards,
Michal
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:58

Fairlop

W/O Dygryn-Ligoticky t/o at 0105am from Tangmere to Intruder action over Evreux-Fauville, in Z3183.
The revolver should be Astra, type 1915 with names Doris, Noel & Paddy and RAF badge. Doris was the name of his WAAF wife.
Remains were buried at Westwell on 14/8/42. The body was unidentified due to condition because three (sic) months in the sea. But the medals and revolver helped to identification.
Victories: 6-0-1

Michal