Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th September 2006, 17:27

Hans Nauta
Fleet Air Arm claim 2nd September 1940

Dear all,

I'm looking for a FAA claim on 2nd September 1940. Do.18G Wnr 0868 K6+DL of 3./KFlGr406 was lost over the North Sea near Texel.

I can't find any claim in the recent publications, but perhaps somebody has this claim on file.

Thanks in advance,
Hans Nauta
Old 12th September 2006, 16:04
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Fleet Air Arm claim 2nd September 1940

Hi Hans

I believe you will find that the Do18 was shot down by a Blenheim IVF of 235 Squadron, falling victim to the gunner Sgt Colin Chrystall, RNZAF (I don't know who his pilot was - can anyone help?) Chrystall later remustered as a pilot and flew Spitfires with 485(NZ) Squadron, claiming a FW190 on 19/8/42 over Dieppe.. He was later posted to the Middle East and flew with 123 and 243 Squadrons, and was shot down by flak on 6/6/44. He survived a force-landing behind enemy lines but stepped on a landmine whilst attempting to evade capture, losing half of his right leg. He was then captured and received good treatment. Later repartiated to England in an exchange of prisoners, and was awrded a DFC. Sadly, postwar, he was killed in an accident on his farm in New Zealand on 28/7/61.

I expect you are aware that another Do18 from the same unit fell to three Blenheims (also from 235 Squadron) on 5/9/40.

Hans, I have some photocopies for you.

Cheers
Brian
Old 12th September 2006, 19:13

phasselgren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I believe you will find that the Do18 was shot down by a Blenheim IVF of 235 Squadron, falling victim to the gunner Sgt Colin Chrystall, RNZAF
Hi Brian,

This is a piece of very interesting information for me. Only "A Clasp For ´The Few´" have anything on this engagement but fails to mention Chrystalls role. From this book: "On the 2nd September Chrystall´s aircraft attacked and shot down a Do 18 flying boat, having a close call nine days later when it was chased away by three Me 109s while reconnoitring Texel harbour". Do you have any more information on this subject.

By the way Chrystall belonged to RAF from July 1938 to 1st July 1945 when he transferred to the RNZAF.

Cheers
Peter
Old 12th September 2006, 19:27

Flupke is on a distinguished road

Hello Hans
I don’t have much more on the claim but the airplane could be coded as K6+DL
And one of the crewmen was the Lt Lt Zur See Logier crashed Pl.Qu. 8229
Regards
Phil
Old 13th September 2006, 16:15
Alter Hase

Hi Peter

That is the source of my reference also. I willc heck 235 squadron's ORB when next at PRO, and will let you know my findings.

Thanks for correcting Chrystall's air force!

Cheers
Brian
Old 23rd September 2006, 11:37
Alter Hase

Hi guys

I had a look at 235 Squadron's ORB - unfortuantely one of the poorly maintained ones - which is devoid of much information. However, our man Colin Chrystall DID fly a sortie on 2/9/40 between 1715-2000 as gunner aboard Sgt Basil Quelch's Blenheim IVF P4835, although there is no mention of a combat (but none of the sorties flown mention combats). I assume that Wynn had seen Chrystall's logbook when he wrote CLASP FOR A FEW.

Whilst not conclusive I think it very likey that Chrystall did shoot down the Do18. Opinions welcomed.

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 23rd September 2006 at 13:43.
Old 23rd September 2006, 13:47

phasselgren is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,

First of all thanks for taking your time with this question

You can be right but I would prefer confirmation from another source because A Clasp For ´The Few´ includes some incorrect information. Furthermore there is no information about this claim in No.485 ((N,Z.) Squadron 1941-1945 by and Paul Sortehaug and Phil Listemann (known claims are mentioned in the Squadron Roster). It would be interesting to know what infomation Paul has.

Cheers
Peter
Old 23rd September 2006, 14:46

Hans Nauta

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all efforts to add details.

Phil,
You’re right about the killed occupant. I fact two were killed and as far as I know still missing:
FF: Fw Dietrich CHRISTENSEN, ErkM 73044/188
BO: Lt zur See Dietrich LOGIER, ErkM 73044/150
Two others were rescued.

Peter,
I’ve filed the events on September 11th 1940 as following:
At 09.05 hrs Blenheim LA-B took off from Bircham Newton for a recce of Texel harbour (perhaps meant streets of Den Helder). The crew consisted of:

Pilot: Sgt Basil Herbert QUELCH, 741801 RAF
Observer: Kenneth Leslie Owen BLOW, 751684 RAF
Wireless Operator: Sgt Colin CHRYSTALL, 614569 RAF

They reached De Kooy airfield at 8,000 ft and turned N and NW over Willemsoord (docks and harbour of Den Helder) using cloud cover from 10.10 till 10.20 hrs. Three Bf.109’s took off from De Kooy and chased the Blenheim, but lost contact in a cloud at 10.15 hrs. There was no cloud cover over Texel, so the Blenheim crew turned South and made a recce 10 miles off IJmuiden. Although there was good visibility, no shipping was seen and they landed at 12.20 hrs.

Remarkably this Blenheim was claimed by Lt Waldermar Anton Karl Wübke, 9./JG54. He claimed a Blenheim at 11.10 hrs local time off the Dutch coast near Den Helder. Continental time was in fact one hour advance of British time.

Brian,
Thanks for checking the ORB. I’m aware of those dreadful ORB’s and additional info may be listed in the ORB of 16 Group or ORB of Bircham Newton. I’ll check this next month when I’m in the National Archives again. I’ll check AIR50 too for a combat report, if this one has survived the war (and post war cannibalism of the combat reports).

Regarding the loss of Do.18 K6+KL Wnr 0874 on September 5th I’m not quite sure if this one operated from Schellingwoude, just like K6+DL. According to The Battle of Britain Then and Now, this Do.18 returned to Calais, France. I’ve limited my research to operations from Schellingwoude, The Netherlands. This matter is a bit difficult as 3./KFlGr406 had detachments on other seaplane bases.

To be continued…

Hans Nauta