Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th February 2012, 19:50
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Victims of Hauptmann Johannes Krause

Hi guys

I recently completed a thumbnail biography of the night-fighter ace Hauptmann Johannes Krause (RK, 28 victories) but when I went to add details for various of his victims I noticed that quite unfortunately the www.lostbombers.com site is offline. Therefore, I am wondering if someone here could help me with the following bombers claimed by this ace:

6 October 1942: Wellington III (BK313) of 115 Sqn, RAF
6 October 1942:
Wellington III (DF639) of 75 Sqn, RAF flown by Sgt GW Rhodes
30 March 1943:
Lancaster (ED469) "EA-A" of 49 Sqn, RAF flown by F/O George Mabee, 6 killed, 1 POW

The information I would need would be tactical code as well as pilot and fate of the crew
for the first bomber, tactical code and fate of the crew for the second bomber and subtype for the third bomber. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 14th February 2012, 20:11
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Victims of Hauptmann Johannes Krause

30Mar43 Lancaster III. Take off Fiskerton at 21:45 and crashed 03:26 at Eilvese, 7 km NNW of Neustadt am Ruebenberge. It states that Sgt. G.A. Jones was seriously wounded and taken to Reserve Lazarett I for treatment. Possibly repatriated in 1944.
Old 17th February 2012, 03:42
Alter Hase

Hello Nokose

Many thanks for your clarification of the information for the third claim of this night fighter ace. I did know that the production series in question comprised both Lancaster I and Lancaster III types but there was no way to identify which version was the bomber in question prior to your answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 17th February 2012, 09:28
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Victims of Hauptmann Johannes Krause

On the 75 Sqn Wimpy Chorley gives only sqn code letters AA-, pilot Sgt G W Rhodes all 5 died and are buried in the Protestant Cemetery, probably at Hardenberg (Overijssel) because the plane crashed near it.

115 Sqn Wimpy KO-B pilot F/0 L I Smith RCAF all 5 died all are buried in the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.

HTH
Juha
Old 19th February 2012, 01:00
Alter Hase

Hello Juha

Many thanks for your reply which added the information that I was seeking to the final pair of victories that I listed. I wish that I could add more details to his claims but since the vast majority were recorded against 205 Group, RAF there is not that much information available about the losses of that unit that I am aware of. Many thanks for your time and efforts.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 24th February 2012, 19:06
Alter Hase

Hi guys

Following on the previous aircraft claimed by this night fighter ace would any one have similar information for the following aircraft:

3 April 1944: Wellington X (LN858) of 150 Sqn, RAF
4 March 1945:
Mosquito XXX (MM742) of 406 Sqn, RAF

Mainly the name of the pilots and the fate of the crews? Many thanks for any help.

Horrido!

Leo