Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 8th February 2020, 09:48

Leo Niehorster is on a distinguished road
Question RAAF Organization 1941

Greetings!

I am looking for the organization / order of Battle of the RAAF for 8th December 1941. I have most of the units listed in the various volumes of "Units of the Royal Australian Air Force" by the RAAF Historical Section.

What I would like is the units (flying, training, service, ...) under the various commands (Northern, Western, Southern) and the Nos. 1 & 2 (Training) Groups, as well as directly under Air Headquarters.

Preferably with locations and commanders.

Thanks

--
Leo
Old 18th February 2020, 10:15
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: RAAF Organization 1941

Hello,

Not precisely what you want - but it's a start. Situation, as at 12 December, 1941:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1417588 - Download and go to pp.4-5 of 30 (pdf).

Col.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:21

Greetings Col. Bruggy!

Many thanks. I do have the RAAF 1939–1942 history volumes, and the unit strengths. What I am missing is the organization/oob, i.e., to which of the three area commands / Training Groups / or directly to Air Headquarters units were assigned or attached. Including the non-flying units, such as base units, maintenance/service, training units, schools, etc. Preferably also showing manned or airfields ...

--
Leo
Old 23rd February 2020, 13:44

andy bird is an unknown quantity at this point

Leo,
Just a heads up there is some wrong info within RAAF 1939–1942 history volume obviously when being written not all documents were available to Douglas Gilson in 1962. Having just written 10,000 words on Beaufighter/Beaufort RAAF sqns formed and ops in New Guinea and East Indies had to use main sources at NAA.

Andy Bird
Old 23rd February 2020, 20:41

Thanks. Yes — I noticed. Why I prefer original docs. (And even those don't necessarily always agree.)

The listing you indicated has some units missing also. The aircraft numbers for the training units appear to be authorized (hoped for?). These units had many different types and numbers, in at least one case well over 100 planes (No. 1 SFTS). Also no aircraft indicated for other training units, such as the Central Flying School, Seaplane training Flight, etc.

--
Leo