Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th March 2012, 16:21

Peglar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

Found some Pictures in the Archive - maybe from Emmer Burial.

Greetings Peglar

Last edited by Peglar; 1st May 2012 at 11:19.
Old 5th March 2012, 01:29

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

Thanks, Peglar, for posting this photo....indeed a somber moment in the lives of the "kriegies" (kriegsgefangenen---POWs).

It's close but I don't think that this is the burial procession for Bud, here's why I think this:

1. There are 10 rifle men in the detail.
2. There is a priest in traditional garb ahead of the casket.
3. The casket appears (under the flowers) to be rather fancy.

Here are the items which I used in the comparison:

1. In the photo marked as Bud's burial detail which is located in response #31 of this thread, please note that there are
only 6 rifle men rendering the military honors. However, the German soldier at attention at the left end of the line appears
to be the same soldier at the head of the burial column in your photo, Peglar. This would confirm a Wetzlar burial detail.

2. Please note response #16 in this thread, the copy of the letter from Col. Charles W. Stark, USAAF to Bud's parents
which describe the detail----the officiant who conducted the burial was Capt. Daniel McGowan, English camp chaplain,
who most likely would have been in military uniform.

3. The plain wooden casket is clearly visible to the far left in the #31 photo, not a fancy casket. Thanks again from the
Emmer family to Flugplatz Giessen for posting this photo from the Raymond Toliver book "The Interrogator", the story of
Hans Scharff, the interrogator at Dulag Luft Oberusel, near Wetzlar.

Any comments/responses are most welcome to help sort out these questions.
Many sincere thanks!

Tripp

Last edited by aaatripp; 5th March 2012 at 01:43. Reason: realign, add details.
Old 16th March 2012, 20:29

Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mr. Hermanns!

Mr. Hermanns is the father of Rudolf Hermanns and will turn 90 years old this coming May. So, you ask, why is today his birthday? According to his son, Rudolf, today marks his "2nd birthday" as, 68 years ago, he parachuted from his damaged Bf 110 shortly after noon in the vicinity of Nordlingen, Germany. Mr. Hermanns was the rear gunner in the Zerstorer. Franz Reich was the pilot. Their a/c had been damaged by an American P-51 of the USAAF, and they exited the a/c before it exploded....yes, a 2nd birthday indeed!

This is the reason why I've recently inquired about ME-110 losses on 16 Mar 44, to try and verify unit/squadron/other data in connection with this event as Bud Emmer is credited with a "damaged" ME-110 at this time and place.

Danke,
Tripp
Old 12th April 2012, 00:08

Many thanks to those who have responded with excellent data to help me in my research. Is there anyone else who might have further data about the ME-110 piloted by Franz Reich (Mr. Hermanns, rear gunner) on 16 Mar 1944?

Thank you,
Tripp
Old 19th October 2013, 07:45

The above claim by Mr. Hermanns turned out to be a hoax.........
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:08

A belated posting to remember that evening in the woods just west of Udenbreth, Germany. It was just over the border from Belgium with Raymond P. Emmer and his buddy, Bill Williams, as ammo bearers located in a foxhole just behind the gun emplacement for a 30cal machine gun of H Co/2nd Bat/394 Infantry Regiment/99 Division in Omar Bradley's 1st Army. Ray was suffering from trenchfoot and was distraught after receiving a letter from his mother which informed him that his older brother, Bud, had been shot down (on Aug. 9th). Though Bud had survived the explosion of his P-51D ARSON'S REWARD and was a POW, Ray was convinced that his brother was dead. Highly accurate enemy mortar fire descended upon their position and Ray was hit by shrapnel. Bill pulled Ray back into the foxhole....Ray groaned once
and was gone....it was Nov. 18, 1944....Bud's 27th birthday.

We remember the two Emmer brothers who gave their lives in WWII.

Tripp
Old 16th February 2014, 05:50

......to remember Bud Emmer who, this day 69 years ago, died in POW transit camp Dulag Wetzlar. Recipient of the DSC, Silver Star, DFC (3x), Air Medal (25x) and Purple Heart he was hit by German anti-aircraft fire near Rouen, France on 9 Aug 44 and parachuted safely from his burning P-51D "ARSON'S REWARD" to the ground. He was the acting CO of the 353FS (354FG/100FW/XIX TAC/9AF) and had just lost his best friend and tentmate that morning, the 353FS CO Don Beerbower.

His parents, Blanch & Viv Emmer lost both their boys in the ETO during WWII and lived for another 30 years with their photos on a lighted table in their home.

RIP, Bud & Ray.

Tripp
Old 4th March 2014, 05:30
Walker-Adair

Hello. My father was Ft Lt LA Walker RAAF of 466 Squadron. Captain Bud Emmer died in my father's arms on Feb 15 1945. Dad never got over this terrible tragedy. I would love to hear from any of you who are associated or related to Bud. Bud gave my father an item before he died that has been treasured by my father and now me for 69 years. It sits on my desk as it sat on my father's desk until he died. I was shocked to finally find photos of Bud on this site and very much hope we make contact with family in the near future. All the best. Regards, Tiana Walker Adair
Old 11th August 2014, 16:05

9 Aug 1944

To remember that day when Bud Emmer ("Red One") was shot down while leading the 353rd Fighter Squadron on an armed recce mission near Rouen, France.

His best friend, Don Beerbower, was his tentmate. Don was Sqdn CO and had just recently pinned on the oak leaves of Major. Bud was his OPSO. When they awoke that morning little did they know that, by the end of the day, Don would be dead and Bud would be badly burned and in German hands...this is war.

Their "Bonnie B II" (Don) and "Arson's Reward" (Bud) would be destroyed, but not before they had shot down a combined 29 1/2 enemy aircraft.

70 years ago today.....'Lest we forget.

Tripp
Old 11th August 2014, 16:48

Caryjoy is on a distinguished road

A fellow pilot Cary W Salter, I understand was part of that flight flying P51D "Charlotte's Chariot". I'm not sure if Cary has any recall on this but I am advised he was there. Cary is still alive but no longer in good health.
Cary Bailey