Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th April 2007, 23:30
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
27th fighter group 12th AF

Hello,

I have received a log book of a pilot of the 27th fighter group (at least that's what I could find out based on the airfields he flew missions from).

His name was 1st Lt John Zoller. He flew over 100 missions from July 44 to April 45.

Does anybody have more information about him or the 27th FG in general. I couldn't find any book about the 27th FG. I would like to find out more about the missions he flew and the aircraft he flew (all P-47s).

Regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 18th April 2007, 00:35

rldunn is on a distinguished road
Re: 27th fighter group 12th AF

The 27th was a dive-bomber group that arrived in the Philippines in late 1941 without aircraft. Pilots were evacuated to Australia where they acquired some A-24 dive bombers and one squadron participated in the fighting over Java and Bali in Feb-Mar 42.

The 27th BG (L) was returned to the U.S. sans aircraft or personnel in early 1942 (in other words in name only). It later was reformed as a dive-bomber group and received some of the first A-36 aircraft (early versions of the Mustand with dive brakes). It was sent to the Med as a dive-bomber group but later reformed as a fighter group.

The Air Force history office website has a link to AAF combat units of WW2 and you can get details there (as well as check my facts based on memory).

RLD
Old 18th April 2007, 10:08
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Post Re: 27th fighter group 12th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldunn View Post
It later was reformed as a dive-bomber group and received some of the first A-36 aircraft (early versions of the Mustand with dive brakes).
Is that a typo, a nickname that I am unfamiliar with or a Freudian mistake - as in a Divebomber must stand on its head?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 18th April 2007, 10:39

Stephane Muret

John Zoller was member from 27 FG / 524 FS "Hounds of heaven". This Group was deeply involved in airwar over France from august to september 44. Then (i need to look my files) but they went over Italy and then Germany. When the Group was based in North Africa, they flew on A36 but over France, their planes were P47 Thunderbolts. I've made lot of researches about this particular Group because they lost several planes over my county. Please feel free to contact me off board. That could be very interesting to have a talk about this Group.

Stéphane Muret
Old 18th April 2007, 10:45

Stephane Muret

Roger, i've sent you a mail in your private box.

Stéphane
Old 18th April 2007, 18:10

drgondog is on a distinguished road

The 27th FG indeed was the first USAAF unit equipped with the A-36 and operated them with distinction during the Italian campaign. When the attrition on the A-36's was too high they were replaced at first with P-51A's (w/o dive brakes) then totally converted to P-40's, then again to P-47's.

Ruy - they had A-24's in the Pacific (Army version of SBD's), trained in A-20's before coming to Africa and flew the A-36's in Tunisia, Sicily and Italian campaigns.

When Dragoon invasion of Southern France occurred they were flying Ground Support in P-47s' for rest of war

Bill