Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th October 2007, 23:35
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
ID of possible 1./KG30 Ju88C in Norway?

Hello,

Can anyone identify the following photo of what looks like a Ju88C that is currently being auctioned on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9197%26fvi%3D1

This looks like a Ju88C. The seller's caption says France, but the plane looks like it force-landed on the rocky shore of a lake or fjord in Norway. The Gesch code isn't readabale, but the plane and Staffel letters look like "MH." If this is a Ju88C in Norway the full code should probably be "4D+MH." Does anyone recognize this one for date, place, unit, crew or circumstances? Does anyone have any other photos of this aircraft?

Regards,
Old 18th October 2007, 15:20
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Could this be the bird?

07-Jun-40, , F, 100%, Ju 88C, , n.n., , Z.St., KG 30, , 4D+MH, , , 07-Jun-40, , Bruchlandung due to Flak during Tiefangriff on ore RR from Sweden., , , X.Fl.Korps/Norwegen, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #1)-Vol.2; Shores, Fledgling Eagles. p.342, , bei Björnfjell, 100%, F
Old 18th October 2007, 16:10
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: ID of possible 1./KG30 Ju88C in Norway?

Hi Larry;

Yes this is Ju 88 C 4D+MH (Z)/KG 30 as Jim P. lists, at least two other photos show the same. Close up photo of nose and the left engine is shown in Brian Filley: Ju 88 by ´Squadron Signal´ (Vol. 2), left side is shown in another book on German Aircraft in WW-2 (possibly Putnam - if I remember correctly).

An small lake and road are in the background - I wonder if it was taken away and repaired - It does not seem that much damaged, unless the French/British troops destroyed it? Any commet from Norwegian experts?

cheers
ed
Old 18th October 2007, 16:27
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have a note that this was a C-1 Wk Nr 0142, that it was hit by Flak over Narvik and was flown by Uffz Heinz Struening. The photos are well known
Old 18th October 2007, 22:00

flyvrak

We were searching this crash site three years ago, but did not find any remains of the aircraft. I have a picture of it here:
(scroll to the bottom of site)
http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/riksgrensen.html

regards Kjell
Old 18th October 2007, 22:04

flyvrak

Sorry, forgot:
http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/bjornefjell.html

regards Kjell
Old 19th October 2007, 01:20
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

I have for WNr. 0142:

13-Apr-40, F, b, Ju 88C-1, 0142, STRÜNING, Uffz. Heinz, , Z.St., KG 30, , 4D+NH, VB+WC, , 13-Apr-40, , Notlandung due to Flak., , , X.Fl.Korps/Norwegen, 5./NJG 2 Maintenance List, Medcalf, bei Narvik, b, F

My '4D+MH' incident is as follows:

07-Jun-40, , F, 100%, Ju 88C, , n.n., , Z.St., KG 30, , 4D+MH, , , 07-Jun-40, , Bruchlandung due to Flak during Tiefangriff on ore RR from Sweden., , , X.Fl.Korps/Norwegen, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #1)-Vol.2; Shores, Fledgling Eagles. p.342, , bei Björnfjell, 100%, F

Was this last also for WNr. 0142 &/or was STRÜNING the pilot? There is no mention in the 5./NJG 2 list (apparently the Z.St. of KG 30 eventually became or was incorporated into this unit). Many, if not all, of the original Z.St. machines are listed here, either through their being damaged or being taken on strength with the unit. Unfortunately I cannot remember who the kind soul is who sent me this document - but its pretty cool. Kudos to him for rooting out this fascinating document.

I guess the question is, there being no corresponding Gen.Qu. report to the 13.Apr date, nor apparently a listing in 'Fledgling Eagles' (I can't find the book at present, did I forget to list a source?), are the incidents one & the same? The 'gotcha' being that the codes are conflicting.
Old 5th December 2007, 22:16
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry, JimP, Goss and others...

Looks like we finally have a candidate for the W.Nr. of 4D+MH (see small number in front of radiator/engine bearer)... thanks to Kjell Sörensen and Tore Eggan.

http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/bjornefjell.html

cheers
ed