Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 23rd July 2005, 09:11

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
B-29

I have several excellent books on this subject eg Blankets Of Fire, Birds From Hell, Boeing B-29 Superfortress and B-29 Photo Combat Diary. The first two deal in excellent detail with the development of this great bomber and it's combat history. The last two provide marvellous photo's of the B-29 in action.

But I have yet to come across a book written by anyone who flew this great warbird into battle over Japan, whether as pilot, bombardier or gunner.

Books abound on the B-17 and B-24 crews. But that human touch seems to be lacking on the B-29 and it's crews based in the Pacific.

Anyone have any recommendations?

In fact the same can be said about biographies/stories of pilots who flew in the VII Fighter Command. Always found this puzzling, wonder why the Pacific lacks so. It is due to the combatants wishing to simply place it all behind and forget? Or (to publishers) was Europe the more challenging, the more romantic?

Last edited by Jim Oxley; 23rd July 2005 at 09:15.
Old 23rd July 2005, 20:01

fsbofk is on a distinguished road
Re: B-29

Re: VII Fighter Command, the only recent book that comes to mind is John Lambert's "The Pineapple Air Force," published by Phalanx Publishing Co. in 1990.
Old 24th July 2005, 02:31

Thanks for the recommendation fsbofk. I'll get that book.

Any other suggestions? Especially on the B-29 crew stories?
Old 24th July 2005, 08:03

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

For B-29s, "Final Assault on the Rising Sun," by Chester Marshall and Warren Thompson (Specialy Press; 1995) is a collection of first-person accounts from B-29 crewmembers about their missions over Japan. Well illustrated with photos of the crews and aircraft, including quite a few in color.
Old 24th July 2005, 16:00

Thanks fsbofk, I too have looked at that one. It's in a similar vein to 'Rain of Fire: B-29s over Japan, 1945', which is a combination of B-29 history coupled with personal accounts.

I guess what I am looking for are books dealing with the B-29 but on a very personal level, about one crewman or a crew that flew the bomber through a tour of duty eg 'Elusive Horizons' by Keith Schuler, or 'Sourdough Sky' by Stephen Mills. Another is 'An Innocent at Polebrook: A Memoir of an 8th Air Force Bombardier' by Charles Stevens. Even 'From Somewhere in England' by D. Lande is good.

It's just so odd (and very frustrating) that a multitude of books have been written by both historians and the crews who flew B-17's and B-24's in the 8th AF over Europe, but so little has been put on paper regarding XXI Bomber Command or it's crews.
Old 22nd September 2007, 08:00

LarryJ is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring up an old thread, just joined the forum today.

Backwards Into Battle, by Andy Doty is his story from a B-29 tail gunners perspective. A lot of his life before joining the Air Corp, but some details regarding his flights. ISBN 0-9646253-0-X, Tall Tree Press of Palo Alto, 1995

Last edited by LarryJ; 22nd September 2007 at 08:04. Reason: Added publisher info
Old 22nd September 2007, 12:21
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Just noted that the best B-29 book, William Wolf´s one for Schiffer, hasn´t been mentioned. Not a crew story book, but very thorough technical treament. Similar books should be done on German aircraft instead of the zillionth camo book or werkenummer listing.
Old 13th October 2007, 17:27

Andy in West Oz is on a distinguished road

G'day Jim

Have you come across this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Thund...2288943&sr=1-1

Will get it myself eventually!
Old 14th October 2007, 01:21

Thanks for the recommendation Andy. Sounds exactly the style of book on the B-29 I'm after!
Old 19th October 2007, 03:16

Andy in West Oz is on a distinguished road

Jim, I've had this one in my collection for a long, long time. It's not combat but, IIRC, it's about an early B-29 crew stateside.

Hagarty's Hag - Mel Blanscett
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=books

The aircraft herself is on display at Hill AFB Museum in Ogden, Utah.

I'm surprised to have not come across anything "personal" re the B-29s operating from China yet.

Does anyone now if Bob Morgan's (Memphis Belle) books/stories/memoirs include his B-29 ops?