Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th September 2023, 10:09

ErikTF is on a distinguished road
Aircraft panel markings on He 219

I’m trying to do some more research on a HE 219 30mm upper wing hatch I recently acquired, it has X14 painted thickly on the outside of the panel in RLM 02 under the camo, and the number 83 painted much thinner on the inside also in RLM 02. Does anyone know what either of these could be in reference to? Possibly a sub assembly or part number, does anyone have reference for these to an HE 219? Thanks!
Old 26th September 2023, 13:45

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough
Re: Aircraft panel markings on He 219

During restoration of the NASM He219, a few different numbers were found painted under the camo. Mostly on the wing sections and mostly the number '13'. That I know of, it was never determined exactly what these meant as the Werke Nr. of the aircraft was known since the original data plate is in the aircraft. 290202.

I don't recall any painted on the cannon hatch.

Tony
Old 26th September 2023, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Kambic View Post
During restoration of the NASM He219, a few different numbers were found painted under the camo. Mostly on the wing sections and mostly the number '13'. That I know of, it was never determined exactly what these meant as the Werke Nr. of the aircraft was known since the original data plate is in the aircraft. 290202.

Tony
Do you happen to have any photos of the numbers painted on?
Old 27th September 2023, 21:44

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

I do. But this website has changed how to post images and so I cannot figure that out. Secondly, I need to get permission as these images were taken in the shop, for which I need approval. I am a volunteer at Smithsonian and not permitted to post images from inside the shop.

Last edited by Tony Kambic; 28th September 2023 at 03:45.
Old 28th September 2023, 09:30
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Tony
Production group number?
Old 28th September 2023, 23:27

If you would be willing to get permission, I'm newer to the site still, I'm not sure how to post photos either, but i could give you my email or something if we cant figure out how to post them here. I actually sent a request in about this to the Smithsonian requests department about a week ago.

Quote:
I do. But this website has changed how to post images and so I cannot figure that out. Secondly, I need to get permission as these images were taken in the shop, for which I need approval. I am a volunteer at Smithsonian and not permitted to post images from inside the shop.
Old 28th September 2023, 23:27

Possibly? Do we have documentation showing production group numbers to WNRs, or something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snautzer View Post
Production group number?
Old 29th September 2023, 10:01

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Erik,

Most Werkenummer-batches are known from documentation or deduced by known production numbers per month.

The numbers of main construction parts can be found on the so called Bauausführungs-Übersicht He219 but as the developement of this aircraft progressed, modified main construction parts got a new number. An example: the wing of He219A-0 had number 501, the newer A-2 version 506 and the A-7 had number 512.

Each little componement, ranging from bolts to inspection hatches, had procurement numbers. These can be found on the Ersatzteilliste but I haven't found any link between the numbers on your parts and these componement numbers.

Therefore I am inclined to believe that the numbers on your parts may have been applied during the construction process but as far as I know are not related to any numbers on the Ersatzteilliste nor Bauausführungs-Übersicht. The identity of this particular He219 remains therefore unknown at the moment.

Best regards, Marcel