Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 24th February 2010, 21:18

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Indonesian Dakota shot down by Dutch Neptune

Hello,

On the 17 May 1962 a Neptune from 321 Squadron of the MLD (Dutch navy) shot down an Indonesian Dakota during operations to stop infiltration of the Dutch New Guinea. I found the date on http://www.papuaerfgoed.org/nl/node/20178. 321 Sqn operated their Neptunes from Biak.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with some details about this incident.

Regards
Peter Hasselgren

Last edited by phasselgren; 24th February 2010 at 21:19. Reason: missing word
Old 25th February 2010, 12:17
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Indonesian Dakota shot down by Dutch Neptune

Hi Peter

I can't help with this incident but, I believe, during this period of unrest, an RAF Javelin accounted for an Indonesian C-130? I seem to recall that the Javelin was manoeuvring into position to fire its missiles when the C-130 crashed.

Cheers
Brian
Old 25th February 2010, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi Peter

I can't help with this incident but, I believe, during this period of unrest, an RAF Javelin accounted for an Indonesian C-130? I seem to recall that the Javelin was manoeuvring into position to fire its missiles when the C-130 crashed.

Cheers
Brian
Hi Brian,

I have read about this claim but I have never seen the names of the crew. Do you know if this claim is officially confirmed by the RAF?

You have written about Commonwealth pilots involved in the Israeli Independence War, Korean War and Suez War. Any plans for a book about the air operations during the Malayan Emergency and Confrontation? Not much air-to-air action but besides the RAF involving both RAAF and RNZAF.

Cheers
Peter
Old 25th February 2010, 19:42
Alter Hase

Hi Peter

I don't think I will be able to find the time!

Cheers
Brian
Old 25th February 2010, 21:09

Brian, I understand if your to busy but if you ever find the time I have this book on my wishlist.

I just saw on http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/...n/i002048.html
that another Neptune was involved in a dogfight with an Indonesian Mitchell on the same day. 321 Sqn was also involved in attacks on Indonesian torpedo-boats and submarine.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 27th February 2010, 13:00
Alter Hase

Hi Peter

IIRC the Javelin was from 46 Squadron (apparently not, probably 60 Squadron), presumably based at Singapore. I've read a comment somewhere that one of its Firestreak missiles was missing on its return, implying that it may have shot down the C-130. Further research definitely required.

IIRC, a distinguished Australian WW2 pilot was lost during this time while gun-running, his aircraft being shot down by ??

Not much help, but it may jog someone else's memory!

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 27th February 2010 at 16:11.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:41

Hi Brian,

I found the date of this claim on Wikipeda: "On 2 September, three C-130 set off from Jakarta for Peninsula Malaysia, flying low to avoid detection by radar. The following night (3 September), two of the C-130 managed to reach their objective with their onboard PGT paratroopers, who jumped off and landed around Labis in Johore (about 100 miles north of Singapore), while the remaining one C-130 crashed into the Malacca Straits trying to evade interception by an RAF Javelin FAW 9 launched from RAF Tengah."

...but according to the RAF Historical Society Journal 13 (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...0Indonesia.pdf) no claim was made. "the pilot overshot as the target speed was so slow and he failed to regain contact."

Looks like a real mystery.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 28th February 2010, 15:19

Hi,

Back to the original question. I found the pilots name with the help of Google´s translator when I read about the Dutch Submarine Hunter Friesland (http://www.collectie.legermuseum.nl/...n/i001999.html): "On May 17, 1962 shot the pilot of the Naval Air H. Moekardanoe his Neptune Dakota down an Indonesian who then could make an emergency landing at sea. The seven crew of the aircraft were picked up by the Friesland and Fak Fak put ashore. "
You get soem "funny" translations when using this tool.

I am still interested in more details.

Regards
Peter
Old 28th February 2010, 19:50
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Peter,

Dutch is my native tongue, so perhaps I can add some more info after browsing a bit on Dutch websites about the Neptune vs. Dakota encounter. No funny translations here, I hope!

The Neptune (serial 207) was patrolling on the south side of New Guinea, keeping an eye out for Indonesian Migs and Mitchells. The RO then reported a contact in the Kaimana area that was interpreted as para droppings by Indonesian a/c. The contact was 110 miles away however, so a hard catch for the Neptune.
But the tactical coordinator on the Dutch destroyer "Groningen" set out a course and with the two jet engines of the Neptune engaged, they could increase the interception speed. After a while a C-47 was sighted and two short bursts with 20-mm cannons set the left wing of the transport on fire.
The Indonesian crew of seven ditched perfectly and could climb in dinghies, to be picked up by the Dutch destroyer "Friesland" later on the day.
The Dutch pilots were Rein Lub and LTZ 1 Harry Moekadanoe.

That same 17 May 1962 an Indonesian Mitchell was intercepted by another Dutch Neptune (with guidance by the Dutch destroyer "Limburg"), but the Neptune's cannons somehow failed and the Mitchell got away.

Best regards,

Leendert
Old 28th February 2010, 20:00
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Peter,

Found this interesting view about the Indonesian C-130 loss in 1964 in Borneo on following website: http://sgforums.com/forums/1164/topics/382660

Shot down by own gunners?

Regards,

Leendert