Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th January 2007, 09:27

BlackWolf3945
Warhawks of the Mighty Eighth

"What's this? P-40s of the Eighth Air Force?!?", you ask, looking at your moniter sideways...

No, the P-40 did not serve operationally with VIII AF. But many moons ago I discovered that at least two Warhawks were used by VIII Bomber Command HQ for liaison duties and as hacks.

I'm looking for any information concerning these aircraft. So if you've come across anything in a book, magazine, the web, or elswhere, I'd like very much to see or hear it. I'm especially interested in obtaining photographs of these ships. (originals or high-res, good quality digital files)

Here's the little info which I've collected so far...

This quote is from Mighty Eighth War Manual by Roger Freeman

No USAAF units sent to the UK were equipped with P-40s. Fifteen arrived in March 1943 for transfer elsewhere, but no other batches were received. Two P-40Es were acquired by VIII BC and used for fast liaison by the Hq Flight. One, 41-36028, crashed near Berkhamsted on 23 Sept 1942 killing the pilot. The other, 41-35934, remained with VIII BC during 1943.

It seems that both aircraft were destroyed in crashes. Here's some info compiled from various sources:

P-40E-1 41-36028 (originally RAF ET674)

Crashed near Berkhamsted, England Sep 23, 1942, killing the pilot William L. Knowles. Structural failure is cited as the cause. The aircraft is stated in one source as being based at Bovingdon.

P-40E-1 41-35934 (originally RAF ET580)

Used by Royal Aircraft Establishment, returned to USAAF Aug 10, 1942. Crashed at Bovingdon Oct 9, 1943. The pilot, Major Glenn E. Hagenbuch, was killed in the crash.

Major Hagenbuch had previously been Squadron CO of the 427th BS, 303rd BG. More info about him HERE, including a photo of the P-40 crash site.

Here's a photo and caption from the February, 2003 ish of Aeroplane...

This Warhawk is believed to be 41-35934, one of two P-40Es that served the Headquarters Flight of VIII Bomber Command, Eighth Air Force, based in East Anglia.

This is undoubtedly 41-35934, as the style of national insignia on the ship in this photo was not in use when 41-36028 was destroyed.

Any additional information or photographs will be greatly appreciated!

Fade to Black...

The Hawk's Nest

Seeking Curtiss-Wright aircraft photos, especially the P-40/P-36 and C-46...