Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 18th December 2023, 13:07

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Form 1575 Flight Authorization Book.

I am looking for information about the possible survival of these RAF documents. I have recently posted this appeal on the RAF Commands forum, but to date have not had a definitive answer on their survival or destruction. What I have learnt is that a modified version, Form 1575c, is still in use or was up to fairly recently. This gives me hope that they have been stored.

I have only ever come across one or two of these RAF documents. Apparently, each Flight of a squadron had one for recording every flight by the unit's aircraft and pilots, both operational and non-operational. They include such details as the aircraft serial or letter, pilot's name, time up, time down, authorizing signature, etc. The details were entered the same day as the flight and multiple personnel made the entries to judge by the handwriting. They are a treasure trove of information.

Does anyone know if any were preserved or if they are being stored somewhere ? Perhaps yet to be made available to the public, somewhat like the AIR 81 P.4 personnel casualty files. They would be an outstanding new resource.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 18th December 2023, 22:00
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Form 1575 Flight Authorization Book.

There must have been millions of auth sheets and in my opinion unless any of the flights involved an accident they would have been destroyed ages ago
Old 19th December 2023, 11:08

BrianC is on a distinguished road

Hi Martin

Have you tried RAF Hendon? They certainly had the Authorization Book pertaining to one flight of 607 Squadron in France 1940.

Cheers
Brian
Old 19th December 2023, 14:42

Hallo Chris and Brian,

Thanks for your replies. I will check out the RAF Museum next year, but it does seem like the 607 Squadron F.A.B. might sadly be the exception.

Regards,

Martin.
Old 20th December 2023, 00:39

richard.k

Hi. Martin. I wish more of these would of been saved also. 431 Squadron, 429 Squadron have been saved. 431 from start to finish, 429 mainly, till into 1945. 415 squadron used this book, but only recorded training flights. It my guess that they were not deemed important.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Richard
Old 20th December 2023, 01:17

Hallo Richard,

Thanks for that information. Although those units are outside my area of interest it is good to learn that their Form 1575s have been preserved.

Regards,

Martin.