Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 30th November 2021, 10:28
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Unidentified Japanese Glider

Hello,

Can anyone identify the type of glider shown here?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25525364621...8AAOSwmg5hpY5T

Regards,

Clint
Old 30th November 2021, 14:32
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Unidentified Japanese Glider

May be this one, a Slingsby T.3 Primary (a.k.a. Dagling)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingsby_Primary

A couple of other pictures in this Japanese album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintag...n/photostream/
Old 30th November 2021, 17:40
Alter Hase

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I've been having a quick look at the Slingsby T.3 since your post and there is a striking resemblance.Very possibly you have correctly identified the glider.However I'm also considering if it isn't the case that both the Japanese machine and the T.3 have a common German ancestor,the Zögling. The Grunau 9 and the SG.38 all look a bit like the Japanese machine too.I had initially thought that the last two had a strut in front of the pilot, hence skull splitter, but I see from looking at photos that appears not always to be the case.

Regards,

Clint
Old 30th November 2021, 18:31
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Not quite my cup of tea but didn't Tachikawa build a few under the designation Ki-24?

I think Clint has shown one of those before.

It was the Germans and Alexander Lippisch who started the design of these rather crude gliders.
Those built in Japan (and civil registered) were all listed as Dagnall Daglings and not Slingsby.

Cheers
Stig
Old 30th November 2021, 18:34

G-ASEA is on a distinguished road

It's not a Slingsby T3. This had metal tubes from behind the wing and skid to the outside of the tailplane. More like and Japanese type of SG38. Many primary gliders pre war look very similar to this.

Dave
Old 1st December 2021, 11:04
Alter Hase

Thanks Stig & Dave,

I don't think it is SG.38 based, the Ki-24 was a japanese built version of that machine I believe (?) There is a photo of a Tachikawa Ki-24,referred to by Stig still at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25513191593...p2047675.l2557

That does have the 'skull splitter I referred to in post No.3 of this thread. So I think the machine in the initial post is something else.But as can be seen they all look confusingly alike.

Regards,

Clint
Old 1st December 2021, 13:30
Alter Hase

Clint

I think the "skull splitter" was there to ensure a quick death, instead of living a day or two in agony. You know, a preferable quick death instead of a slow one....

Anyway since it seems the Japanese chose the Dagnall Dagling as their preferred model (made a quick check and no sign of Slingsby or SG 38 anywhere) I would go for that one or one of the copies they made such as the Kirigamine models.

But then again, I also think these primary gliders all look more or less the same plus the fact that almost every "garage builder" probably thought he could change a bit here and there to claim his name to such an immortal design.

In my youth I spent one week in a glider camp with quite a few enthusiast trying to learn the ropes. I spent one week in the back seat of a Bergfalke and came out (luckily alive) saying never ever more without an engine!!
I kept that promise....

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st December 2021, 13:44
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Your answer may have helped. I took Kirigamine and added the transliterated japanese Guraida and did a search. I am now thinking Ito A-1 Primary may be a possibility:

https://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot....9/gliders.html

Regards,

Clint
Old 1st December 2021, 14:03
Alter Hase

Could well be Clint.

I have nothing on the two (it seems) dedicated Japanese glider registration blocks in the A-xxx and B-xxx ranges.

Cheers
Stig