Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th May 2012, 20:50

Spitfire Simon is on a distinguished road
7/JG2 and III/JG2 flight details records for 23 June 1942

A request for details regarding 7/JG2 and III/JG2 on the 23 June 1942. I am trying to put together details of the air battle on this day, trying to find numbers of aircraft involved and if possible actual personnel and aircraft.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:25
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: 7/JG2 and III/JG2 flight details records for 23 June 1942

I carried out some research on this some years ago-sadly, very few who took part are still around. However, it is thought:

7 & 9/JG 2 were on standby.
7 Staffel scrambled 8 ac with a rotte as lookout
Faber scrambled later and replaced a 7 Staffel ac that turned back.

According to some of the Czech pilots I interviewed, they only saw 4 FW 190s at one time so numbers were low. Faber and Reuschling are no longer alive
Old 29th May 2012, 23:14

Spitfire Simon is on a distinguished road

Many thanks Chris for the info. I am working on putting an animation movie together with a friend of mine and we were trying to get as much accurate details as possible. If you hear any more details about the day's events do post it here. In the mean time do look at a document I am putting together here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74312216/LSA...gs%20Story.pdf

Regards

Simon
Old 31st May 2012, 03:54

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Luftwaffe records show that twelve Spitfires of 7./J.G. 2 scrambled on this day and had contact with the enemy. Pilots involved included Oblt. Mayer, Uffz. Reuschling, Lt. Holzapfel, Uffz. Knies and Ofw. Stratmann.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
Old 10th May 2017, 23:37

aquarya is on a distinguished road

It's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, but I did a day's worth of research on this today. Looked in BAMA: RL5/1081, and AIR 25/182, AIR 27/1681/11, AIR 17/1681/12, as well as AIR 27/1692/11 and 12 and AIR 27/1697/25.

The weather was fine and clear and the visibility outstanding. Faber appeared to be alone as he came over England - 7th Staffel recorded no victories over land, and the RAF only identified one airplane heading towards Exeter. ("One isolated e/a, a FW.190, crossed coast and proceeded towards Exeter. 2 a/c 310 squadron and 2 a/c 312 squadron were ordered off from Bolt Head to intercept the isolated e/a over Exeter area.) He circled at 14,000 feet over Exeter airfield alone after the dogfights were over - maybe he was looking for 7th Staffel, maybe not, who knows? I'd love to hear from Chris - where did you learn that Faber took off to replace a 7th Staffel plane that turned back?

According to the Czech pilot
(Trejtnar) who went after him alone, Faber kept climbing - up to 19,000 feet - and circling back around before they engaged each other. After shooting down the Spitfire pilot, Faber circled him 1.5 times as he drifted down in his chute. Then he headed "northwards descending slowly".

It's very, very hard to believe that he could not have seen the sun in the west on a clear, beautiful summer's day at 2005, with sunset at 2200. The fight was a simple head-on, single pass, and not a turning, confusing dogfight when they engaged. How could he possibly have gotten lost and landed in Wales?

Just saying.

Heather
Old 11th May 2017, 00:03
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an article in Flypast on this air fight