Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th February 2008, 16:17

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe claims 16th October 1940

Hi all,
I hope that somebody out there can help me with a query.
I am trying to work out where I can locate a list of claims made by the Luftwaffe on October 16th 1940.
Sgt Chalupa of 310 Squadron died on this date and it has been supected that he was overcome by fumes in his hurricane cockpit.
I just wanted to see if the Luftwaffe made any claims of a combat victory that had previously not been allocated to a victim.
There are two reasons for this:-

1. Joseph Hybler who flew with Chalupa on this date described seeing the hurricane going down trailing white smoke. No mention of a radio message from Chalupa complaining of a fault.

2. Chalupa's death certificate shows that he died of multiple injuries after baling out of his hurricane, his parachute having failed to open properly.

I hope that someone can perhaps shed a little light on this.
Gerry
Old 17th February 2008, 16:26
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe claims 16th October 1940

It would appear there were no claims for Hurricanes or Spitfires this day. Surely his wingman would have seen some evidence of German fighters if there were any which reinforces the supposition of an accident
Old 17th February 2008, 17:15

gedburke3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe claims 16th October 1940

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your quick reply.
His wingman, Josef Hybler reported in his diary that he saw Chalupas Hurricane going down trailing white smoke. He does not mention any combat, they were on a training flight. He says that he felt that Chalupa had lost consciousness due to a possible glycol leak. I just wondered if it were possible that Hybler possibly leading the formation hadn't noticed a sudden incident/attack happening behind him, and that Chalupas hurricane had become damaged forcing him to bale out in a hurry. Hybler doesn't mention seeing a parachute either. He obviously felt (wrongly) that Chalupa was still in the hurricane when it crashed.
I guess we'll never know for sure.
Best wishes
Gerry