Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th September 2007, 15:10
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe photos & items collection

Hello,

As some of you may know that I not only collect Luftwaffe related items but am also writing a book about the technical and political development of the Me 262. It was my experience so far that I couldnot have started to write a book or find many of my personal collection's treasures without the help of others.

Thousands of collectors, historians and aviation enthusiats search online for collectibles, documents, photos, etc. on a daily basis. Probably more than 90% of what they discover might not be useful for them, but for others. Even though the majority of people can't share their findings with other enthusiats as there is just too little time to do that in ones daily life, I want to make the first step and share some of my findings in a regularly updated blog. The regularity depends of course very much on my available free time which is very limited from time to time. But I'll give my best.

But first I want to receive your feedback. I followed the discussions about Ed West's posts. I do not want to harm andybody but rather help other enthusiats with their research, collections and passion.

The blog's format is very open and I won't focus only on photos or auction items but also other items and even personal experience of my collectors/historian's life. Hence, I don't want to copy/past Ed West's excellent list of links but rather offer an addition to that list and also offer many other things.

Please have a look and feel free to add comments to my posts.

http://lwcollectibles.blogspot.com/

Best regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 24th September 2007, 16:32
Alter Hase

Re: Luftwaffe photos & items collection

PS: I have added a voting poll to the blog so that you can let me know what you think of this idea.

Thanks for your feedback!
Roger Gaemperle
Old 24th September 2007, 22:03

leonventer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gaemperle View Post
Thousands of collectors, historians and aviation enthusiats search online for collectibles, documents, photos, etc. on a daily basis. Probably more than 90% of what they discover might not be useful for them, but for others. ... I want to make the first step and share some of my findings in a regularly updated blog. ...

But first I want to receive your feedback. ... I do not want to harm andybody but rather help other enthusiats with their research, collections and passion.

... I don't want to copy/past Ed West's excellent list of links but rather offer an addition to that list and also offer many other things.
Hi Roger,

Excellent idea, nice presentation, and outstanding finds! I'll be checking in regularly to see what you've come up with -- thanks for sharing!

It's unselfish contributions from people like you, Ruy, Ed West, Richard Eger, Michael Holm, Tony Wood, Jim Perry, Larry Hickey, Andrew Arthy, George Hopp, Lynn Ritger, Charles Metz and many others that help a great deal to advance our collective research.

Best regards,
Leon Venter
Old 24th September 2007, 23:07

David Ransome
Smile Re: Luftwaffe photos & items collection

Hi Roger,

Excellent, you are now on my favourites list!

Kind regards,

David
Old 25th September 2007, 10:42

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road

Hi Roger,

Nice idea, I bookmarked it as well.

See you soon,

Csaba
Old 25th September 2007, 13:26
Alter Hase

Dear Leon, David and Csaba,

Thank you very much for your supporting words. It is very motivating and gives me impetus to continue with the updates of the blog.

I will also try to add some useful information for collectors in the future like e.g. how to distinguish fakes from originals and also Luftwaffe history related articles. Of course they will be relatively brief and offer not an in-depth study of a topic, but should rather be a short and interesting overview about a certain topic. I tried to start this today with a short article about Agfa photo paper. Please feel free to post comments to the articles in case you would like to add something or if you see a mistake. You can simply do this by clicking a symbol at the end of each article.

I hope it will be useful and interesting for most of you. Using blogs for this purpose is new to me as well and it is kind of an exciting experiment. Let's see where the path takes us :-)

Kind regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 25th September 2007, 13:42
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hi Roger,
Full marks on your blog, very interesting.
I too shall bookmark your site.
Keep up the good work.
Best regs,
Steve,
Old 25th September 2007, 19:41

stephen f. polyak is on a distinguished road

Roger,

What a wonderful idea! As a collector myself, I commend your initiative and wish you a successful following. Will you be showcasing aircraft parts such as grips or sights? Perhaps, if there’s an opening, I may offer some insights pertaining to data plates. I look forward to seeing future articles and pictured items.

All the best,
Steve
Old 26th September 2007, 12:50
Alter Hase

Hi Steve & Steve!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback! I have just added a new update.

I would like to also add aircraft parts & instruments in the future, but am not sure yet if I should open another blog or use the existing one. My experience is that historians and collectors who are interested in photos are not necessarily interested in aircraft parts. So, to keep both apart it might be useful to have two separate blogs (similar like the flight gear blog I have started: http://luftwaffeflightgear.blogspot.com).

Steve, yes, that would be great if you could write an article about data plates!!

In general, I think it would be a great idea if also other people contribute with short articles about their special field of interest so that the others can benefit from that. Of course full credit would be given. Please contact me if you have anything interesting. I would be very glad to hear from you!

I might post soon an article about the Me 109 K-4 instrument panel (either on the existing blog or in a new blog dedicated to instruments & parts).

Best regards
Roger Gaemperle
Old 27th September 2007, 10:04
Alter Hase

Hello,

Today, I have added the first aircraft parts related topic (the instrument panel of the Messerschmitt 109 K-4).

Regards
Roger Gaemperle