Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th May 2018, 17:05
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Smile Gerhard Barkhorn

Dear All,
Do you happen to have the book 'Der vergessene As' about Gerd Barkhorn?
https://www.amazon.de/Das-vergessene...9ETV3KHEK10FHT

I'm wondering whether to buy it or not, and it seems too expensive. Is it mostly devoted to his career, his air victories, etc. or is there anything interesting about him as a person? I mean more detailed information, something more than is available online (for example, the fact that he had a wife called Christl and three daughters is widely known).

Is there anything about his childhood? Or about his sister Meta, apart that she died during her Reichsarbeitsdienst?
Thank you very much in advance.
Old 28th May 2018, 00:30

AMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Gerhard Barkhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Maria View Post
Dear All,
Do you happen to have the book 'Der vergessene As' about Gerd Barkhorn?
https://www.amazon.de/Das-vergessene...9ETV3KHEK10FHT

I'm wondering whether to buy it or not, and it seems too expensive. Is it mostly devoted to his career, his air victories, etc. or is there anything interesting about him as a person? I mean more detailed information, something more than is available online (for example, the fact that he had a wife called Christl and three daughters is widely known).

Is there anything about his childhood? Or about his sister Meta, apart that she died during her Reichsarbeitsdienst?
Thank you very much in advance.
Well I have the book. I pondered for some time as to if I should buy it. I must say I like it, although it is landscape and German/English in format, (not my favourite idea of a book). It is, as you might suspect mainly concerned with his wartime service, many photos (including colour), combat details and profiles.
It does give a little of his post war service, and private life, finishing with a piece on the fatal auto crash.

I can't see another quality book of this pilot's life appearing anytime soon, so if you can afford it, get it.

He lost two brothers and his father during the war. His sister Meta died as a result of a ruptured appendix in 1937 I believe......
Old 28th May 2018, 00:56
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road

Dear AMC,
Thank you very much for your answer. Well, I might theoretically afford it, but, to be frank, I have to invest in other books (I mean books in linguistics for my post-doctoral thesis). By the way, maybe you could send me scans or photos of pieces of text devoted to his personal life rather than to his wartime service, please? I might give you my e-mail address in a private message.
Last but not least, was Meta older or younger than Gerhard Barkhorn? Is her date of birth given in the book?
Best regards,
Teresa
Old 28th May 2018, 01:29

AMC is on a distinguished road

[quote=Teresa Maria;252507]Dear AMC,
Thank you very much for your answer. Well, I might theoretically afford it, but, to be frank, I have to invest in other books (I mean books in linguistics for my post-doctoral thesis). By the way, maybe you could send me scans or photos of pieces of text devoted to his personal life rather than to his wartime service, please? I might give you my e-mail address in a private message.
Last but not least, was Meta older or younger than Gerhard Barkhorn? Is her date of birth given in the book?
Best regards,
Teresa[/QUOTE,

I'm afraid his personal life before the war is just half a page, while the accident also is half a page, and that's it. I will try and take a picture tomorrow in daylight, if that would be of help!.
Nothing of how old Meta was.
Summing up, I have many aviation books, but this one provides some of the least personal details on the subject I have come across...…...