Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th March 2005, 02:30

ThreeGreens is on a distinguished road
Recommended literature for research, Please

I am endeavouring to research aircraft histories of various data plates that I have, to establish true identity, werk nbr, markings and squadrons.
I would also like to try and obtain some of the history of the aircraft and why it came to crash, as well as (if at all possible) picture(s) of the subject aircraft.

Apart from this outstanding forum, I have been told that two books of the "Then and Now" series Battle Of Britain and The Blitz are two I need to acquire, but wanted to ask if anyone knew of any other publications that may summarise actions in the war, losses and the details surrounding them.

In addition, apart from private collectors, is/are there any sources of photos that may reveal a particular aircraft that I may have a data plate from?

The ones I currently need to research are :

1. JU88A1 WRK nbr 5072 9K+FS of 8/KG51 crashed at Portsmouth Harbour 12/8/40 (I understand that this is a well known and famous
one?)
2. Hurricane P3896 12/10/40 Guestling Sussex. SGT P Thorpe baled out
3. HE111 w/n 3628
4. Do17Z WRK nbr 2596 F1+BA KG76 Sundridge, Kent 07/09/40. I have info on various theories of who attacked this aircraft and the subsequent crashes and its fascinating, including an unfired .303 round found in the Do17's wing post an inflight collision.
5. Spitfire K9879 flown by LT Cmdr Kingdom crashed in Somerset 01/8/40. A Rare Folland built Spitfire from 1 PRU, Heston near Heathrow.
6. An unknown JU88 plate with Serie given as 32107
number stamped below is 88 375 (shows it is a fuselage plate??)
7. Unknown Aerobau plate. Gerat Nr 9-2169-A and wrk Nr 25882

Any information anyone may have, or most importantly where I can obtain literature on how to decode the plates and research their history, would be most graciously received.

Many thanks and happy Easter to all readers
Graham
Old 25th March 2005, 10:49

David Ransome
Re: Recommended literature for research, Please

Hi,

Yes, get the books (borrow or buy) because they have very good indices and a great deal of backup info.

Your No 3 : He111 H-5, WNr 3628, 9./KG26, 1H+ET Crashed at Bendish, Herts 8 April 1941 after being shot down by 264 Sqdn Defiant. 'After the Battle' mag did an article on this. I used to have a large number of parts recovered from this aircraft plus photos taken at the time, as well as several data plates - all sold last year!

Regards

David
Old 26th March 2005, 15:56

David,

Thanks so much for the responee and information. Do you know where I may get a copy of that "after the battle" to look up the information?
I am looking of the other publications, I am sure they will help. Unfortunately, libraries are closed for the bank holiday!
Apart from these two books are there any other publications likely to help?
Any other forums other than this one that may also be able to assist?

Thanks once again for your help
Graham
Old 26th March 2005, 19:09

Dave Wadman

Graham,

Hurricane P3896 of 145 Sqn s/d by Me 109 during patrol over Hastings area at 1022hrs. The pilot Sgt.P.Thorpe baled out injured and the Hurricane crashed in
Blackbrooke Wood, Guestling.
(From B of B T&N p.506. Also listed in Fighter Command Losses vol.1 by Norman Franks p.94)

Do 17Z W.Nr. 2596 F1+BA s/d by fighters during early evening mission over London's dock land. Uffz.Rupprecht, Ofw.Schneider and Ofhr.Schneider killed, Fw. Rosche baled out and made P/W.
(B of B T&N p.630).

The copy of the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report which I have states the following: "Do 172(the 2 is I think,a typo for Z) crashed at Sundbridge, near Sevenoaks on 7/9 at 18.00 hours.Identification markings undiscernable, but plate shows aircraft constructed by Dornier Works Friedrichshafen R.835. Aircraft crashed following fighter action and was completely wrecked. Wreckages lies in the middle of the stream. 2 MG 17s found and only armour plate back of pilot's seat, standard 8 mm thick."

This report contains no information on killed or captured crew members.

HTH

Dave
Old 26th March 2005, 19:22

Dave Wadman

Hi again Graham,

Just a thought regarding your search for information; you might want to pay a visit to the PRO at Kew and check through the ORB for 145 Sqn and also the P/W interrogation files. All of which may well yield additional info. Also, a search through the Lw claims lists by Tony Wood may also give an indication of who put in a claim for the Hurricane.

Cheers

Dave
Old 7th April 2005, 00:47

Thank you so very much for all your help.
It has given me both a start and a fascinating insight into an enormous topic, one that I look forward to finding more about!
Graham
Old 21st November 2006, 00:31

Shallow is on a distinguished road

hey,

i have read that you have some information about a
7. Unknown Aerobau plate. Gerat Nr 9-2169-A and wrk Nr 25882

do you own this plate or have you some information about it for you?`

thanks