Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st October 2007, 14:17

Allan125 is on a distinguished road
Joint RAF & USAAF Query - regarding raid on Ludwigshafen 7 January 1944

Any 8th Bomber Command or RAF Photo Recce. experts out there?

If so, I would be gateful for any assistance with this USAAF/RAF request for help - I have been assisting French (amateur) historian Christian Dieppedalle with his research for this raid as 125 Airfield (132 and 602 Squadrons), my particular "speciality", provided part of the withdrawal support and he has been supplied with the relevant ORB reports.

Whilst I have also helped further, or put him in touch with other researchers, I do not have the information to answer these two questions.

"I seek for a long time without finding answer, on two subjects:

I always thought that it was Lightning F-5 or Spitfire of the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, which had photographed Ludwigshafen before January 7, 1944 and after the bombardment. I received yesterday the book of Freeman "A story of the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group," and I discovered that this Group forever be on Ludwigshafen during all the war ! (all their missions are detailed day per day)

I think now that that was to be done by the RAF. My question is, do you know which Group of photo Reco of the RAF made this type of mission ?

My other question, relates to Headquarters of the 8th Air Force in High
Wycombe.

I seek the names and ranks of the Officers of the Headquarters of the 8th
Air Force, who planned the mission of January 7, 1944. (planned mission on January 6)

I sought that a long time but it is confused because on January 6, 1944,
there was a great change in the Air Force which transformed itself into
USAAF and of the officers were moved. I think that Major General Orvil Anderson, Deputy Commander of Operations was present as well the Colonel John A. Samford, Chief of Staff, but I do not know the name of Director of Operations, because Anderson he's transferred to HQ USAAF, nor the names of the Intelligence Officer, Weather Officer.

It is a difficult question.

Thank you for your assistance."

Many thanks in anticipation.

Allan125
Old 21st October 2007, 14:37

Andy Fletcher
Re: Joint RAF & USAAF Query - regarding raid on Ludwigshafen 7 January 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan125 View Post
I think now that that was to be done by the RAF. My question is, do you know which Group of photo Reco of the RAF made this type of mission
106 (PR) Wg (comprising 540 Sqn, 541 Sqn, 542 Sqn, 544 Sqn) was responsible for conducting PR ops from the UK.

I don't know which Sqn actually carried out the actual sorties as I haven't got the relevant ORBs for that date.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 21st October 2007, 15:22

Allan125 is on a distinguished road
Re: Joint RAF & USAAF Query - regarding raid on Ludwigshafen 7 January 1944

Hi Andy

Many thanks - I will pass the information on to Christian

Allan