Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th June 2017, 13:18
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bomber Aces with min. 500 combat missions list

Kowalewski did lead the 15 Aug 43 mission and was Gesch Komm for a month, taking over from Oberst Martin Vetter and then handing over to Obstlt Rupprecht Heyn. It would appear then that his connections with bombers ended in August/September 1943
Old 12th June 2017, 14:18
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Arthy View Post
Hi,

Bätcher flew 658 Feindflüge and 703 Frontflüge. These figures are from his Leistungsbuch.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Good afternoon Andrew,

his Leistungsbuch ? Cool.
Can you have a look how many of Bätcher's missions were flown as an observer and how many in the Arado ?

Kind regards,

Michael
Old 12th June 2017, 16:04

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

Hi Andrew. Nice to see another Aussie in the discussion.
I take it from your answer that his Leistungsbuch does not tell us about >4 hr missions, or is it too difficult to extract?
Or can we assume that the 45 difference is the number of >4 hr missions?
Thanks for the info!
Did you find a number Michael?
Cheers
Peter
Old 12th June 2017, 16:08

Hi Chris.
Yes, in 8/44 Kowalewski went to NJG2, but then in 11/44 he went to KG76 as GeK flying the Ar234 to the end of the war.
Cheers
Old 12th June 2017, 19:29
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

FF - Feindflug - are the number you are looking for here. These are 'flights/sorties against the enemy'. All other flights would not be included in this category. A lot of these guys would have numerous other flights, training, Werkstattflug, Frontflug, courier flights and whatever. The last would be particularly true for commanders. I suspect this may be why some of the flight numbers you have are way off. The only way to get truly accurate counts is through a LTB or other LW documents, or better yet a Flugbuch. Bätcher & Kuntz's FB are out there in trading circles - both of which I still need to acquire myself.

Sure, a board such as this is for asking questions, but there is a big difference in asking a question and posting a lengthy list and asking others to 'fill in the blanks'. Like I said before, I was happy to spend a couple of hours to help you out and point out sources for you, but 'helping out' ends there and turns into 'gimme'. BTW, you may not be able to afford to buy a suggested book, but there are libraries and inter-library loan.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:12
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Hi Andrew. Nice to see another Aussie in the discussion.
I take it from your answer that his Leistungsbuch does not tell us about >4 hr missions, or is it too difficult to extract?
Or can we assume that the 45 difference is the number of >4 hr missions?
Thanks for the info!
Did you find a number Michael?
Cheers
Peter
Hello Peter,

did you know that Germans from the former Easter Germany are called "Ossies" in my country ? I'm one of them.
I think we can safely say that Bätcher flew 658 Feindflüge (combat missions). 45 of these lasted more than 4h, by couting twice giving him a total of 703 Frontflüge.
I wonder how many Feindflüge were flown in a He 111. Brütting indicates a minimum of 600 and a maximum of 655.

Have a nice evening,

Michael
Old 13th June 2017, 01:51

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
FF - Feindflug - are the number you are looking for here. These are 'flights/sorties against the enemy'. All other flights would not be included in this category. A lot of these guys would have numerous other flights, training, Werkstattflug, Frontflug, courier flights and whatever. The last would be particularly true for commanders. I suspect this may be why some of the flight numbers you have are way off. The only way to get truly accurate counts is through a LTB or other LW documents, or better yet a Flugbuch. Bätcher & Kuntz's FB are out there in trading circles - both of which I still need to acquire myself.

Sure, a board such as this is for asking questions, but there is a big difference in asking a question and posting a lengthy list and asking others to 'fill in the blanks'. Like I said before, I was happy to spend a couple of hours to help you out and point out sources for you, but 'helping out' ends there and turns into 'gimme'. BTW, you may not be able to afford to buy a suggested book, but there are libraries and inter-library loan.
Easily the BEST post I have ever seen on a thread of this kind. Brilliantly told, Jim.
Old 13th June 2017, 03:17

Well, that's it, I'm done with this thread.
Nick, I don't know what you were trying to say, or how deep your relationship with JimP goes, but if you can't make a meaningful contribution to a thread, why bother posting at all? Particularly when all you seem to be able to post is negative.
Hope not to bump into you.
Peter from Adelaide.
Old 13th June 2017, 03:23

Jim,
We already know how you feel about this thread, and were not expecting any further contribution from you, so you don't need to repeat yourself.
Why are you bothering to still read it?
Peter
Old 13th June 2017, 03:36

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Well, that's it, I'm done with this thread.
Nick, I don't know what you were trying to say, or how deep your relationship with JimP goes, but if you can't make a meaningful contribution to a thread, why bother posting at all? Particularly when all you seem to be able to post is negative.
Hope not to bump into you.
Peter from Adelaide.
Peter, as Jim P said...

By now, you hopefully understand what I was trying to say Peter. Plain English. Most of us here in Adelaide have mastered it....