Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th September 2009, 08:44
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Robert Reynolds, 354th FG, MACR 9178

Robert Reynolds, an ace of the 354th FG was shot down and captured on September 12, 1944. I have a copy of the MACR 9178, but it has none of the German KU/J/etc reports. I am trying to find the date and place of birth of Reynolds, to determine if this is the same individual who died in 1977 in Orlando, Florida. The only information I have, from the NARA copy of his enlistment record, is that he was born in 1924, as was the deceased (who also served in the Air Force). I believe they are the same person, but I have no hard evidence, just a set of coincidences.

Does anyone know when Reynolds was born or died? Does anyone have the KU/J/etc reports for him, or know the references in NARA? I plan a return visit in late October, and can pull them at that time.

The International Red Cross has not responded to my request for information on him.

Frank.
Historian, American Fighter Aces Association.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:37

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Re: Robert Reynolds, 354th FG, MACR 9178

What are the: "KU/J/etc reports for him"

Are these akin to the "Report of Release" or "Personal Card" ?
Old 18th May 2014, 23:46

KrisJG3 is on a distinguished road

http://www.abmc.gov/search-abmc-buri...9#.U3kAfihkzJY

but 364th FG so I think another person.

Robert B. Reynolds
Captain, U.S. Army Air Forces
385th Fighter Squadron, 364th Fighter Group

Entered the Service From: Ohio
Service #: O-417288
Date of Death: April 15, 1944
Buried: Plot D Row 7 Grave 21

Have a look my post:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=37916
http://pomorze1945.com/?co=&lang=EN
Huball25@poczta.fm

http://www.en.truthaboutcamps.eu
http://auschwitz.org/en/

Team of SS KL Auschwitz:
http://pamiec.pl/pa/form/60,Zaloga-SS-KL-Auschwitz.html
Old 19th May 2014, 11:31

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

There is a "Reynolds, Robert, 1924-1977" recorded as alumnus of Rollins College (Winter Park, Fla.); it's in the neighborhood of Orlando.
http://archon.rollins.edu/?p=collect...ontentid=10791
Old 19th May 2014, 11:42
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

This is a very old thread request. I have since been able to obtain the desired information.

Robert Reynolds was born on March 23, 1924 in Orlando, Florida. He died in Orlando on December 28, 1977. He was shot down in aerial combat on September 12, 1944 while serving in the 354th FG, in P-51B-10 42-106597 Smoldering Boulder (MACR 9178). He was last seen at 1320 in the vicinity of Bech, Luxemburg.

I was able to match the ace to his birth and death records with information from the International Red Cross in Switzerland, and later, with information from the Military Personnel Record Center in St. Louis.

The German LuftGauKommando record for him is J-2096. It states that his Mustang crashed at 1245, 1 km. NE of Neuerburg bei Trier.

aaatripp:
The LuftGauKommando records were prepared during the war to record Allied aircraft and aircrew captured by the Germans. The records concerning Americans are now in the National Archives in College Park, Maryland (NARA II). Records for the British went to the Air Ministry and I believe are still closed to researchers. Records for the Russians went to Moscow; I have no idea of their status.

The American material in NARA II is broken up into several collections. The J-series covers American fighters, and is numbered from J-1 to J-3217. The ME-series covers mostly bombers from the Mediterranean area. Other series, which I have not yet investigated are JA, RU, KU, KSU and AV. For each series there are two sets of boxes, one with the original German records, and a smaller set of boxes with English translations. LuftGauKommando material can frequently be found for bomber losses in the corresponding MACR, but rarely for fighter losses.

For your information, Emmer's death is in AV 2088; the German originals are in box 118 of the LuftGauKommando material in Record Group 242; the English translation is in box 125. There should be a J-series reference for him, but I haven't indexed those copies.

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 19th May 2014 at 12:05. Reason: Add Emmer references.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:58

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Hello Frank,
as my knowlege the plane crashed near Neuerburg/Eifel. This ist more than 50km NW from my hometown Trier. (Horst Weber have more infos!!) Bech is an smal german village same 40 km south of Trier, at the river Moselle, near the German-Luxembourg Border. Also not far away from France. From Bech to Neuerburg it is nearly an perfect strait linie!!!!
Bests,

hans
Old 19th May 2014, 19:07

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshauprich View Post
Hello Frank,
as my knowlege the plane crashed near Neuerburg/Eifel. This ist more than 50km NW from my hometown Trier. (Horst Weber have more infos!!) Bech is an smal german village same 40 km south of Trier, at the river Moselle, near the German-Luxembourg Border. Also not far away from France. From Bech to Neuerburg it is nearly an perfect strait linie!!!!
Bests,

hans

Guten Abend Hans,
good evening Frank !

Robert Reynolds P-51 came down on that day at about 12:45 hrs near the village of Neuerburg, Kreis Wittlich, Germany. Neuerburg is today a suburb of Wittlich-town and is located at the East of the town.

There was always some confusion about the general crash-location since there are two towns named Neuerburg in the general area. In this case it was possible, to locate the incident to the Wittlich Neuerburg.

For more inf, please contact me by PM.

Best wishes

Horst Weber
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:29

aaatripp is on a distinguished road

For Frank Olynyk,

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation of the notations, including specific info about Bud Emmer (Capt. Wallace N. Emmer, USAAF 353FS).
I do hope to visit NARA II some day in Maryland and will use this info.

Best wishes,
Tripp

P.S. Apologies for my late response as I have just now viewed your answer for the first time.