Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 16th October 2005, 22:05

gawebster
Identity of plane

Greetings,

I'm trying to identiy and get a little history behind a small collection of German aviation photos I've collected over the years. One photo has always stummped me as to what it is.

The photo shows two officers and a pilot in a old pre-WWI high-wing monoplane with a Ju 33 behind it. I'm trying to identify the first plane. The closest match I can find is Karl Willing's Gotha-Taube from 1911-12. But the period pictures do not quite match up to the plane in the picture. For one the engine has four cylenders not three. I was wondering if anyone might know the story behind the plane and the picture. I can see the planes in the background all sport civilian markings along with a He 70 mail plane. So it must place the photo around 1935-37. Here is a link to the photo.

I've decided to part with my small collection as it has gotten to quite expensive to collect photo with the incredible prices some images are going for on EBAY. (That's where these will eventually be posted). I just wanted to see if I could add a little history to the images I'm selling.

Thanx,
Gary
Old 17th October 2005, 21:43

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Identity of plane

Hi Gary,
the plane is a "Hans Grade Eindecker" (monoplane) built in 1909. The picture was probably taken while making a movie about Hans Grade in 1937, when Hans Grade flew his plane again.
You can find a picture of the plane at
http://www.johannisthal.de/grade.htm

Kind regards
Robert