Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 12th December 2007, 11:38
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
No 1 Squadron loss - 1942

Scanning through "Flying Sailor" by Andre Jubelin whilst doing some Tangmere related background-research I came across reference to a Hurricane of 1 Squadron lost at night, with its South African pilot ("Percy"), that dived into the ground at The Hartings, near Petersfield. Try as I might, I cannot seem to reconcile this with any loss or recorded event - even if I dismiss the vague name, nationality and location. Before I discount it as a non-event can anyone come up with an incident that matches? The event must have been after 22 June 1942 when Jubelin joined No 1 at Tangmere.

Andy Saunders
Old 12th December 2007, 12:16
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: No 1 Squadron loss - 1942

You, men and Peter D have puzzled about this as you well know. It did say that the Hurricane went into Petersfield Lake..........which has been cleaned more times than I care to remember!
Old 12th December 2007, 19:03

timothy is on a distinguished road

Whatever, that gave me goose pimples!!

Still feel great togetherness for both No1 & Tangers.

= Tim
Old 12th December 2007, 21:55
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
You, men and Peter D have puzzled about this as you well know. It did say that the Hurricane went into Petersfield Lake..........which has been cleaned more times than I care to remember!
Quite so, Chris, but just came back to it again to see if an answer could be found. Re-reading it, he says it was by the lake not in it. Anyway, either it didn't happen at all, happened elsewhere or he is perhaps muddling it with a loss on 118 Squadron with whom he served previously? As you said when you called earlier, there are a number of 1 Squadron losses in the region when Hurricanes flew into hills etc but nothing at all in the apparent time frame that I can find. Its odd, though, that he is so specific about the location and odd that no local information at all exists to corroborate things. Just one of those unsolved mysteries - although what happened to Fg Off Dobie of 1 Squadron missing on 21 October 1942?

Andy