Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th August 2017, 05:17

Dornier335nut is on a distinguished road
Dornier Do 335 info sought

I have scoured the internet and my personal collection of pictures and references pertaining to the Dornier Do 335 Pfeil. I have been unable to locate the information that I am searching for, I have e-mailed the Dornier Museum and again, posting on forums is usually my last option.

I am looking for information pertaining to the Dornier Do 335B-4 reconnaissance variant as well as information pertaining to Dornier Do 335V4-V7 . The information on the B-4 variant that I am searching for pertains to the camera installation in the bomb bay doors. That is pretty vague but I am looking at how the bomb bay doors had the cameras in them. I’m searching for any photos (if any exist) and or diagrams perhaps. The information I’m looking for on the V4-V7 concerns the main landing gear doors. I’m trying to replicate in 1/32 the inside of the doors that the main landing gear struts attach to.

Thank you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicholas
Old 17th August 2017, 08:03
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dornier Do 335 info sought

Take a look at the "Books" section here. You'll see that an expanded version of the Smith/Creek Do 335 book is on the way, so that might help.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:31
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

Vom Original zum Modell Dornier Do 335, K.H.Regnat

Last edited by Snautzer; 4th December 2017 at 21:54.
Old 18th August 2017, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Take a look at the "Books" section here. You'll see that an expanded version of the Smith/Creek Do 335 book is on the way, so that might help.

Thank you Nick. I'm patiently awaiting it's release hoping for new information.

Nicholas
Old 18th August 2017, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snautzer View Post
Vom Original zum Modell Dornier Do 335, K.H.Regnat

Thank you Snautzer. I thought I had that book in my collection but I can't find it. I guess I'll have to purchase a copy.

Nicholas
Old 20th August 2017, 00:41

Chris Going is on a distinguished road

I have a feeling that there are engineering drawings of the relevant Do335 airframe showing bomb bay camera installation in UK National Archives Piece Air 40/146. I have photocopies somewhere, but if you know anyone who can get to Kew, I'd start there.

Best wishes

ChrisG
Old 24th August 2017, 14:01

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Hi Nicholas,

Do you have the 2006-Edition of the Smith & Creek Dornier 335 book?

pp162-163 show a diagram in plan and sectional elevation of the fore-and-aft camera installation in the bomb-bay. It is labelled as the Dornier Do 335 M13 aircraft. There are (incorporated as part of the same 2-page spread) details of the Do 335 A-series main and nose-gear undercarriage arrangement.

pp81 shows a photo of the individual camera installation. Though it's taken from underneath the aircraft and there is insufficient view of the aircraft to give a sense of size or relation of the camera to the installation supports on the aircraft.

If the updated edition of the book is on the way, perhaps there will be more details, photos, drawing available.

Regrds,
...geoff
Old 24th August 2017, 14:05

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity - what is the top flight test speed. validated and documented?
Old 27th August 2017, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearoutwest View Post
Hi Nicholas,

Do you have the 2006-Edition of the Smith & Creek Dornier 335 book?

pp162-163 show a diagram in plan and sectional elevation of the fore-and-aft camera installation in the bomb-bay. It is labelled as the Dornier Do 335 M13 aircraft. There are (incorporated as part of the same 2-page spread) details of the Do 335 A-series main and nose-gear undercarriage arrangement.

pp81 shows a photo of the individual camera installation. Though it's taken from underneath the aircraft and there is insufficient view of the aircraft to give a sense of size or relation of the camera to the installation supports on the aircraft.

If the updated edition of the book is on the way, perhaps there will be more details, photos, drawing available.

Regrds,
...geoff

Hi Geoff,

Yes I do have that book and yes I've seen those drawings and photos. I'm trying to find if the ports for the cameras protruded through the bay doors a little or were flush. I'm guessing flush and that's what I'm going to do with my model parts. As for the landing gear doors, I'm looking for the detail on the inside of the doors themselves. The ones that are attached to the landing gear struts that are mounted on the V3. I found detail drawings for the V1 but I haven't started a conversion yet for that version of the 335.

Thanks.

N.
Old 27th August 2017, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Going View Post
I have a feeling that there are engineering drawings of the relevant Do335 airframe showing bomb bay camera installation in UK National Archives Piece Air 40/146. I have photocopies somewhere, but if you know anyone who can get to Kew, I'd start there.

Best wishes

ChrisG
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the UK that could go to Kew to look for that sort of thing for me. I finally heard back from the Dornier Museum, after almost a year since my message was sent to them, stating that engineering drawings are not available in their archives and most likely did not survive the war.

Nicholas