Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th December 2009, 19:07

cheesey
Lt.Oyler lost 19/7/44 info sought.

Hello all.

Could anyone provide any additional info on the following loss ?

1st Lt. John W. Oyler O-793016
380 FS/363 FG
P-51B-5 43-6703
MACR 6679

Lt. Oyler was lost on the 4th July, 1944 whilst flying over the Cherbourg Peninsula. He was last seen in the vicinity of Coutances attacking gun positions. At some point he reported being hit by light flak and was told to return to beachhead. According to the MACR he wasn't seen again. The report contains no info as to his fate.

There is a German report noting a possible match - 4 Jul 44, 1835 Mustang 6km NW GOUVILLE into sea J1790, J1789.

Gouville-sur-mer is just north-west of Coutances on the western edge of the peninsula very near to the sea. There were several 363rd FG losses on that day and Lt. Oyler doesn't seem to be listed on the American Battle Monuments Commission website. Was he lost on that day or did he survive ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Steve.
Old 13th December 2009, 20:23

Luc Vervoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lt.Oyler lost 19/7/44 info sought.

Hi Steve,

This pilot became a pow.

Best regards from Belgium.

Luc
Old 13th December 2009, 21:17

cheesey

Thanks Luc for the feedback.

I have tried to get onto the POW database at NARA without luck, can't seem to connect.

I need to know if Lt. Oyler's a/c came down in the sea and the circumstances of his capture if possible !

Thanks, Steve.
Old 15th December 2009, 01:19

drgondog is on a distinguished road

J-1792 attached to MACR 6679 stated that he (unknown pilot) was seen downed in sea, fate unknown, 2km NW of Cuetance FR ~ 1014

There are no other J reports indicating a capture - at least not attached
Old 16th December 2009, 09:54

Henk Welting is on a distinguished road

Following came from a fellow researcher:
Problem may have happened as the MACR 6679 doesn't give a clear status of Lt. Oyler. Also in Film AO/791 Frame 1067 with the 380 Sqn hisory (Maxwell AFB/AFHRA) is mentioned "Pilot evaded and returned to the base later". Truth was brought to light in the NARA PoW System: "Captured 4.7.44 and sent to Stalag Luft 1 in Barth".
Regards,
Henk.
Old 16th December 2009, 16:54

cheesey

Thanks very much drgondog & Henk, much appreciated.

The comment on the MACR re aircraft coming down 2km from Coutances in the sea is erroneous considering the town is approx 10km from the coast ! I just wonder if pilot baled out over land and a/c continued out to sea and crashed ? Hence the German report of a/c coming down 6km from Gouville-sur-Mer (only 2.5km from sea) and Lt.Oyler being taken POW.

I am being a bit picky because I am interested in all aircraft that came down between French coast and the Channel Islands.

Thanks again, Steve.
Old 17th December 2009, 00:17
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

Cheesey,

If you are interested in aircraft that came down on or near the Channel Islands, you may wish to look in to these too:

14th June 1944 - 1st Lt. Thomas J. Pickett, 511th FBS, 405TH FBG - P-47D named ‘Which way’d he go George’ (possibly 42-76354) hit in an oil line on mission over Cherbourg Penninsula. Bailed out over the sea and presumed drowned. Body later recovered I believe.

23rd June 1944, 2nd Lt. Walter R. Davis of 510th FS suffered total electrical failure in his P-47C-5-RE, 41-6358 and lost all radio contact with his Flight. He flew alongside the Flight Leader and indicated by hand signal that many things were not working, including the variable pitch propeller function, which in turn effected his control over the engine RPM. Shortly after he broke away from his Flight and crash landed in Jersey. I think small bits of this plane are still to be found in Jersey in various collections

Old 17th December 2009, 15:54

cheesey

Thanks Larry, most kind. I shall follow up that first P-47. Lt. Davis's crash is very well known to me. Please see the attached scanned pics taken shortly after his forced landing.

Davis was taken POW but managed to escape from the Germans whilst in France (I think!) and returned to his unit until wars end. You are quite right about items still in existence. Just after crashing he gave some bits and pieces to local civilians. These are now on display in a local military museum. They include his survival knife, which is in beautiful condition ! I believe a few pieces of the a/c are also on display at the Jersey War Tunnels.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 17th December 2009, 23:57

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesey View Post
Thanks very much drgondog & Henk, much appreciated.

The comment on the MACR re aircraft coming down 2km from Coutances in the sea is erroneous considering the town is approx 10km from the coast ! I just wonder if pilot baled out over land and a/c continued out to sea and crashed ? Hence the German report of a/c coming down 6km from Gouville-sur-Mer (only 2.5km from sea) and Lt.Oyler being taken POW.

I am being a bit picky because I am interested in all aircraft that came down between French coast and the Channel Islands.

Thanks again, Steve.
I would speculate that you are right about being 'hit' 2km from Coutance but the J report was specific about pilot not recovered.

So, possibly hit and ditched at the coast, or hit/bailed out (but not captured by authority preparing report) and captured later by another German unit and annotated in another numbered J report?