Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 9th February 2010, 18:37

Khorat is on a distinguished road
Japanese Army and Naval Airforce Units

I searching for where to get informations about japanese airforce units in the philippines.

So I see a troubleful theme.

regards

khorat
Old 9th February 2010, 19:52
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese Army and Naval Airforce Units

On what date?

Jan - Jul 42: lots.
Aug 42 - Jun 44: few.
Jul 44 - Jan 45: lots.

I have folders and folders and folders with all this information in it but I lack the time, motivation and energy to dig it all out because I haven't messed with this subject since 2003 or so and have forgotten where I put the order of battle documents. So here is what I suggest. Go to the web site below and ask your question there. The membership is interested exclusively in the JAAF/JNAF and know just about everything there is to know. If you have a question about a particular JAAF Hikōsentai or JNAF Kōkūtai, let me know and I can probably answer it. Or, perhaps the expert of experts, Richard Dunn, will see this and give you an answer.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/

L.
(Korat RTAFB, 1967)
Old 9th February 2010, 21:17

Thanks - I´m interested in all this times.

Will ask there.

have a nice day.

Michael
Old 10th February 2010, 04:25

ftrbmr is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Try here: http://ww2db.com/other.php?other_id=15

Part 07 should get you started with Naval air groups.

Henry
Old 10th February 2010, 08:27

Thanks Henry - helpful link.

regards
Khorat
Old 10th February 2010, 15:05
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that, Henry. It's very helpful to researchers to have JMono 116 up on the internet. I have it on microfilm along with most of the other Japanese Monographs, but I didn't know someone had installed it on the net. It should answer most of Khorat's questions on the JNAF but the JAAF will be more difficult. Here are two English language sources:

(1) SRH-258 Japanese Army Air Forces Order of Battle 1945, 360p. This TOP SECRET ULTRA document can be found in U.S. National Archives Record Group 457. They can photocopy it, digitize it to a CD or microfiche to order for a customer, but my guess is that it would cost approx. $200. It provides the wartime history of every single JAAF unit from Kokugun to Yasen Hoju Hikotai, from Koku Kyoiku Tai to Renshu Hikotai, from Rikugun Koku Yusobu to Kokurobu, from Koku Chiku Shireibu to Yasen Kisho Tai. In all, 50 different types of units with 5 to 250 units in each type. A very comprehensive document.

(2) Order of Battle - Japanese Army Air Force. Military Intelligence Division, War Department, Washington 25, D.C., 1 October 1945. 12 microfiche, 50 frames per fiche. These can be ordered from the Naval Historical Division, Navy Yard, Washington, D.C. The cost is only about $20 but getting these people to process an order is difficult. Their mission is to service active duty U.S. Navy customers and not hobby researchers. The content is similar to (1) above, giving the wartime histories of each unit. Again, a very comprehensive document.

Hope this helps,

Larry
Old 10th February 2010, 16:09

Thanks again Larry.

khorat