Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 26th May 2020, 16:25
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Photo Nieuport

Hi Stig,

Yes the photo is of a nice quality as are many of the sellers other photos which I've not posted here for the usual reason, that there is no comma in the name of this board following Pre-WW2 and preceding Military. Not that civilian aircraft interest me so much anyway until about a nanosecond after they're impressed Hopefully the other photos I've posted from this seller haven't been seen before.

Edit. I see after posting the above that from the Avro thread, the Avro 502 picture that some of the photos have not been previously seen. Good news.

Regards,

Clint
Old 29th May 2020, 12:19
Alter Hase

Hello,

Another french serial related request I'm afraid.On delcampe there is a Nieuport serial No.8300 at:

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893694091.html

I imagine that its one of the Nieuport 80 series trainers, in fact I'm almost tempted to opt for Nieuport 83 just because of the No.8300, but recognise that this is too much of a coincidence, so I'll avoid making an uninformed guess.

Regards,

Clint
Old 29th May 2020, 14:47
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Hi Clint

Indeed this is a trainer version, but a N.81
Reason I know this is because N8300 was among 145 transferred to USAAS

Cheers
Stig
Old 29th May 2020, 14:54
Alter Hase

Hi Stig,

Thanks. I wish I could justify the expense of the Casari book, it sounds wonderful.

Regards,

Clint
Old 29th May 2020, 15:44
Alter Hase

Oh it is

In my opinion it is a masterpiece, way ahead of anything Aeronaut Books has published so far!

I have something like 1000+ books on American aviation and it easily takes the top position of all of them. I believe you have Peter Grosz book about Austro-Hungarian aircraft?

This is the US equivalent and if someone gave me the awful choice of choosing which one is best, I think I would give the honors to Casari.....

Come on Clint, buy it....you only live once....

Cheers
Stig
Old 29th May 2020, 15:50
Alter Hase

Stig,

I'm impressed by your comments on the quality of the book and who knows may be one day, but at the moment money spent on books is going on German and KuK material and I'm just starting on Italy after which France I think.

Regards,

Clint
Old 29th May 2020, 20:32
Alter Hase

Hello,

Currently on delcampe are trhe following Nieuport aircraft :

Nieuport 10 N.237

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893692690.html

Nieuport 11 N.940 of N 31

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893674222.html

Nieuport 16 N.959 of N 65

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...439429972.html

Nieuport 17 N.1865 of N 65

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893688871.html

Nieuport 24 N.3936

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893687938.html

Nieuport 28 N.6265

https://www.delcampe.net/de/sammlero...893690863.html

They are captioned as original though this may not be the case for all. Any help assigning escadrilles to the one's i have posted without escadrilles gratefully received.

Regards,

Clint
Old 29th May 2020, 23:03

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hello Clint
According to Albin Dénis list ( http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...e_Nieuport.htm ), the 237 belonged to Escadrille N 10 and the 3936 to Escadrille N 57. And the 6265 was probably used by the American Expeditionary Force.
Regards
Jean
Old 30th May 2020, 11:05
Alter Hase

Hi Guys

Can I just put in some words of caution into all this?

The photos on sale (and that goes for all the periods TOCH cover), are mostly undated and also lack where said photos were taken. In many instances we also have to read countless guesses from sellers whose only aim is to get the most out of their sale.

Many of the photos also lack enough clarity for any of us to be 100% certain which actual aircraft we are looking at. A case in point is N940 above. It seems even the seller is not sure regarding this interpretation.

To thus be able to say which unit any aircraft belonged to when the photos we look at were taken, is problematic. Aircraft moved around between units back then as they do today. The lack of documents from all combatants are sadly missed and we need to realise that what we can do is nothing more than a "best guess"

Also a warning about flip sides. We rarely know/find out, who has actually written what we can read. Photographer, relative, former collector, seller? We just don't know.

Cheers
Stig
Old 30th May 2020, 12:09
Alter Hase

Hello,

First of all thank you Jean for your replies. Ifound your information useful and have added the details to my spreadsheet.

Stig. You are of course correct about the uncertainty factor in aircraft identification.Taken to its logical conclusion I suspect that the only time we can be certain of a unit id/serial tie up is when an aircraft is known for a fact to have served in only one unit or when an aircraft has been shot down and the operator is known.

However, while I sometimes qualify my identifications of units with possibly or probably or some other qualifier on other occasions I am happy to accept the text on the back of photos, its just a case of judgement based on individual cases/sellers. Writing according to the seller, possibly or probably in every case apears long winded and is not something I will be doing unless I'm doubtful of the sellers information.At the end of the day anyone reading a thread is going to have to make their own judgement just as I do,as you do as everyone must for themselves.

Regards,

Clint