Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th April 2013, 23:31
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Questions about the Fw190 Instrument Panel codes & late war changes

Hey guys...

I noticed that the electrical codes written on the Fw190 main instrument panel were different later in the war.

Standard Fw190 w/ 1.8 ata manifold gauge and mechanical Tachometer.

L4 - Compass
L2 - Horizon...

D9/D13 in with the 2.5 ata manifold gauge and mechanical Tachometer.

L3 - Compass
L8 - Horizon

D9/D13 with the hole for the LARGER autopilot compass (but adapter to take the smaller), 1.8 ata manifold gauge, and electrical tachometer:

L4 - Compass
L2 - Horizon

This panel below (vet acquired) is 100% D or later, with the earlier codes.

Does anyone know the reason for this change? And does it have something to do with the autopilot?

The only other panels I have seen with the adapter plate are the D13 and Ta152 in the USA...so my theory is that this panel above (based on codes and instruments) is 100% LATE D11/13 (possibly Ta152):

- Lesser 1.8ata manifold (not the standard 2.5ata) for the Jumo 213E (this gauge is also installed on the Ta152 in the USA).
- Standard adapter plate for the autopilot compass
- Electrical tachometer

I believe the D13/R11 was the first time they made the hole in the panel for the larger compass as "standard" ...can anyone concur?

Does anyone have any evidence or clues to the code changes, and if any of my theory is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 28th April 2013, 10:42
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough
Re: Questions about the Fw190 Instrument Panel codes & late war changes

L4 - Compass L2 - Horizon is not the instrument on the panel but refers to the place of them in the electrical diagrams. The L is the standard letter concerning navigationsgerate and fluguberwachung as ig P is schusswaffen anlage.

Last edited by Snautzer; 7th May 2014 at 11:18.
Old 28th April 2013, 15:54
Alter Hase

HI!

Thanks for the reply...

The codes themselves were unique to each aircraft. The codes were not for the placement of the instruments, but rather, so the ground crew could ID each electrical connection for the instrument that was installed. This was so if the items were removed or taken apart, they could ID the correct plug and connection to re-attach.

So all codes should have remained standard on all Fw190 panels. There was no reason to change them, unless there was a change in the electrical schematics and electrical system.

I just saw another Fw190 D panel, that had late 1945 codes (there was a change across the board on all aircraft in 1945 or so):

1L2 - Horizon
1L11 - Compass

The same Fw190 panel, having the same instruments, "should" have all the same codes...but they don't. There is some sort of change in 1944 that caused this...just don't know what it was.

Mike
Old 28th April 2013, 20:36
Alter Hase

Mike thats what i stated.
Here what the L stood for.

L 1 Selbstschalter ohne Gehäuse
L 2 Eis. Wendehorizont
L 3 Gerades Steckgehäuse Steckdoseneinsatz
L 4 Führertochterkompaß
L 5 Mutterkompaß
L 6 Winkeisteckgehäuse Hülsenplatte, eisenfrei
L 7 Winkelsteckgehäuse Hülsenplatte,"eisen frei
L 10 Selbstschalter ohne Gehäuse
L 11 Gerades Steckgehäuse Steckdoseneinsatz
L 12 Gleichstr.-Drehstr.-Umformer
Old 28th April 2013, 20:50
Alter Hase

HI,

You are mis-understanding my question...

I know what the codes are for..

BUT...

Certain models of the D9 and Ta152 had DIFFERENT codes.

L4 (normal Fw190 A-D) was CHANGED to L3 in certain models of the D9 and Ta152...but not all.

L2 was (normal Fw190 A-D) was CHANGED to L8 in certain mdoels of the D9 and Ta152...but not all.

My question is "why"?

The change in the code, would have ONLY been done if a major electrical change was done, such as certain model or Rustaz. Otherwise all the Fw190 would have the same codes, and not different between all models.

My question is "what models" did these changes occur in, when, and why?
Old 28th April 2013, 22:20
Alter Hase

I have ersatzteil liste for the 190 a d9 and 152 from different years All say the same.
Is it possible you post some things of the changed ones or point to a website ?

Nowhere more exceptions of rule then by the Luftwaffe i know :-}.
Old 28th April 2013, 23:03
Alter Hase

Hi!

The panel I showed in the first posting above is 100% late-war D9...but with the standard Fw190 coding, and 1.8ata (not the 2.5 ata) manifold gauge.

Below is an Rustaz 11 (either D9 or D13). Note the late-war codes, which would have been applied in 1945. Panel is wood. Tach is electric.

Below is another early D9...note the early aluminum panel and mechanical tach (not electric)...and different codes (L8 & L3).

Below is another early Fw190 D9 aluminum panel. Though the compass is in the wrong spot, the L3 can be seen above the variometer. Tach is electric.

Below a later D9...wood again...large hole for the autopilot compass (R11) version...but adapter for the smaller compass. But...back to the L4/L2. Tach on this one is also electric (not shown).

Here is another late-war D9 panel...wood...but with the 1.8ata manifold. No codes, sadly...

So it appears that wood panels (which are later and all feature the adapter plate), have different codes. But that could be just coincidence.

What I am trying to determine is what model of the D9 retained the original codes and why they switched them at all.

All wood panels shown in this thread are all D9. Also, 3 of the D9 panels I have seen have the early 1.8 ata...not the 2.5...which makes me wonder if the 1.8ata was installed on the later D9's (D11/D13), that had the lesser performing engine boost (213E as opposed to 213A).

I do know that some early D9's were not equipped with the MW-50...thus no need for the 2.5 ata...however most of the panels shown at late-war captured...so certainly, all would have had the Mw-50...either as a upgrade or the factory default (especially the later wood ones). The R11 version at the top only goes to 2.0ata..

Thoughts?

Last edited by harrison987; 29th April 2013 at 05:56.