Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th January 2012, 01:53
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough
Spitfire XVI engine fires

I have seen it stated that the relatively few Spitfire XVIs operated in 1944-45 with American-built Packard Merlins suffered from engine fire problems. Packard was said to be less effective than Rolls Royce in detecting minute cracks. This became a problem from prolonged use of high levels of boost on fighter operations.

I note that the RAF operated Spitfire XVIs for a number of years posr-war, especially in the Anti-Aircraft Cooperation Units.

Are there any sources on this issues? Ideally, one comparing mishaps per hour with other marks, but anecdotal evidence on this problem would also be welcome.

thanks,
david isby
Old 15th January 2012, 08:19

SMF144
Re: Spitfire XVI engine fires

Unless I have missed the boat, from my understanding via the vets, it was a direct result in the use of the 150 grade fuel, which tended to foul up the plugs etc.

Stephen