Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st January 2005, 22:46
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Nico Fast's JG 52 books

Nico Fast published a series of volumes on JG 52. Soft cover, A5 size I would guess. I have six of them. I have heard that there was a seventh volume published. Can any one who actually has a copy of volume 7 confirm this, and supply details? Publication date, ISBN, page count, and subtitle information. Since Herr Fast died, I do not know of a source for any of these books. Is there a source today? And if volume 7 was published, how many were printed, and what happened to them?

Frank.
Old 1st January 2005, 23:55

leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: JG 52 by Fast

Hi Frank,

Niko Fast published 8 books about his wartime experiences. The first seven were "Das Jagdgeschwader 52, Bände 1 bis 7". The last one was titled "In Französischer Gefangenschaft 1945-1947", which describes his postwar experiences as a POW.

I have JG 52 volumes 1-6, plus "Gefangenschaft". I had also doubted the existence of JG 52 volume 7, but in a posting to the original TOCH forum in Aug 2000, Jan Bobek confirmed that he owns a complete 8-volume set. Here's part of the thread:

From Bob Rinder:
I have not been able to confirm that a vol 7 was ever published. If there was, I have yet to find anyone who has one.

From Jan Bobek:
Apparently I am very lucky guy. I have all 8 volumes including last one - stories of captured JG 52 members in France after the war (this volume is not numbered, but it came out after the VII., so I call it 8th).

I think that Volumes 1. - 5. are usefull, especially 4th - the losses. However do not expect a regular JG chronicle. Most volumes are just mixture of interesting stories. ... It was nice to speak with Mr. Fast years ago ... in Russian language - for me surprising but for former Ostfront Nachrichtenoffizier probably nothing unusual

So, at least one copy of the elusive seventh volume does exist.

Leon Venter