Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:41

stevenbhol is on a distinguished road
The staffing of Rommel in July 1944

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum

I'm planning a trip to Normandy in June for the anniversary. About a week ago I was surfing the net for sites to visit in the Normandy area, and came across a tour website that showed the site where Rommel was strafed by an allied airplane.

Attachment 17777

I was unaware of this incident, and started digging some more. Looks like a Richthofen, Wittmann who done it cluster. Half dozen pilots given, or taken credit for the attack. I found another forum that had lots of info. I found this photo of a Lt. Harold O Miller that was given credit in a news paper in Dec of 44.

Attachment 17779

And this clip of his attack.

First thing I noticed was the absence of the bend in the road after the attack. So, I got on google maps and found this spot about a mile an a half out of Vivarot.

Attachment 17781

The map matches the footage of Miller's attack. You can see the 2 farm houses, the bend in the road, pitch forked road, and hill in the background when he rolls out of the attack. It's definitely a opened top Horch he's attacking.

I have a couple of questions, and points:

Is the July 17 date set in stone, or came to be because it matched another pilots claim? Miller's attack took place on the 24th.

I was able to find some of Lang's account, but not all of it. He also returned to the site in the 70's. He claims the attack took place closer to Vivarot, not Viemoutiers, unlike the gated lodge which is just outside Viemoutiers. I think he also named the river Vie by name which is in the google map I posted.

Does anyone have Lang's, or Hulke's account right after the staffing, or magazine article of when he returned in the 70's?

There were some claims that a US P-47 got him, but then the Germans said it was a Spitfire. The 352 Sq that Miller was assigned to transitioned from Jugs to Mustangs March of that year. I found a Pic of Miller, and his ride.

Attachment 17780

I doubt the Germans could tell the difference with a front on rear attack. Both had the RR Merlin, so they sounded the same.

Last point, I think the damage to the car, and injury's are also consistent with a rear 50 caliber attack like Miller's just down the left side of the car. Charlie Fox's interview on Youtube, he claimed you never attack from the rear on a road. I think a 20mm cannon shell from a Spitfire would have done much more damage, especially if attacked from the side.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

TIA

Steven