Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th August 2007, 20:17

phil
Albatros flugzeugwerke

dear reader,
I have a plan from a airplane part (fussteuer)
the plan is dated 8-3-1931 and has a stamp from:
ALBATROS Flugzeugwerke G.m.b.H
betriebsleitung
What happened with that company and what kind of planes did they build?
thanks ahaid,
phil
Old 30th August 2007, 20:42
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Albatros flugzeugwerke

Hi Phil,

A brief but succinct reference:

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/alb...flugzeugwerke/

Ed
Old 31st August 2007, 00:08
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello Phil,

You could try a search at the Luftwaffe Experten message board or LuftarchiV.de for some images. From memory the only Albatros type still in use with the Luftwaffe in WW.II were the L.75 and L.101 (unless anyone knows differently!). I'm pretty sure that both sites have images of the latter.

Regards,
Clint
Old 31st August 2007, 00:24
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello Again Phil,

For just about all the post WW.I Albatros designs see http://www.histaviation.com/Albatros.html

Clint
Old 31st August 2007, 12:00

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

As Clint correctly says, we have three images of Albatros Al.101's with Sktz codes and a line up of three with civilian codes over on the LEMB here...

As an aside, were any of the Albatros types ever known by the Focke-Wulf name? The reason I ask is that we have a selection of Al.102 (B, C & D-series) listed on the D-letters/D-numbers pages of the LEMB Sktz Database and some appear to be designated Focke-Wulf Al.102 whilst others retain the Albatros name. Did the designation change after the acquisition by Focke-Wulf or just those built after 1931 (if any were indeed built after this date)?

Cheers

Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 31st August 2007, 17:28
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Peter

At the end of WW 1 Albatros was one of the biggest (if not the biggest) aircraft producers in Germany. Hit very heavily by the cut backs it maintained a rather oversized design bureau which during the post war years produced a large number of new designs, many only built in prototype forms. During the years 1919-1932 when they were taken over (not amalgamated) by Focke Wulf they built appx 200+ aeroplanes. Verified WNr range is 10002 to 10199

Reason Focke Wulf took over the company was probably because they saw the potential in certain designs, most of all the L 101 series. I have not found a single one actually built by Albatros on the German civil register, although they must have built the prototypes, even though I lack any WNr for them.

The first verified Albatros aeroplanes (I have) built by Focke Wulf are WNr 106-107 which were model L.78s. From then on the Albatros models L.101, L.75, and L.102 became important but THE most important type was the L.101D where I have some 60 verified WNr in the old civil register (digit register). At one point the type became known as Al.101D. At least during this initial phase in the production the types were known as Focke Wulf L.101 or Focke Wulf AL 101. If Focke Wulf at a later stage "knicked" the type completely and called them Focke Wulf Fw 101 etc is something I don't KNOW, but I don't think they did since in the RLM listing for 8 type serial system, type numbers 101 to 103 are still refered to as Albatros types.

Both the model 101 and 102 seems to have been built also after the Germans switched to a civil letter register in the 1930's. Have no details though about that...

Cheers
Stig
Old 31st August 2007, 18:10

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the detailed response Stig

In quickly looking through the 1934 "Nachrichten fur Luftfahrer" (NfL) I note the following:

WNr.197 to WNr.217 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.101D
WNr.223 to WNr.228 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.101D
WNr.234 to WNr.237 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.101D
WNr.281 to WNr.289 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.101D
WNr.291 to WNr.295 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.101D

WNr.176 to WNr.182 are all listed as Focke-Wulf L.102B

Whilst other types like the L.72c and L.75 in the same list are marked as Albatros. So it does indeed look like the L.101 & L.102 were classed as Focke-Wulf types...

Cheers

Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 31st August 2007, 18:25

phil

Hello,
I would like to thank all of you for the reactions on my question about albatros.
Its all clear yet.
its a pitty that on the plan its not written from what type the is its only written:fussteuer,vorn
and thats it.
kindly regards
phil M