Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 18th November 2007, 16:06
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Re: Any living Luftwaffe pilots we can list here?

John.

Yes we had acces to a greater number of ex-sevicemen of the Luftwaffe, and also we could get copies from WASt at 1-DM a piece. But it was much more difficult to start out from nothing or the books filled with errors, of wich some still lives on today! New York flight comes to mind.

I do feel lucky that I started at that time, having met many veterans, some of them even became close friends!!!!!

Junker
Old 18th November 2007, 18:17

Artist is on a distinguished road

A little off target but... A few years ago I was at an airshow and had a famous Ace sign one of my paintings. We talked for a while and he wrote down his address and phone number and handed it to me. As he handed it to me he said call or write him any time. The gentleman standing beside him selling prints signed by this Ace( I guess he had brought this Ace to the show ) looked unhappy about this. Before I walked away this gentleman walked up and informed me that if I wanted to get in touch with this Ace I should go through him.( I later found out he owned a collecables Co.) Not sure of my piont, but I somtimes feel like there are some true ? historians that feel that they are the only ones that should be able to contact or talk to the Aces. Robert
Old 18th November 2007, 21:11
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
John.

Yes we had acces to a greater number of ex-sevicemen of the Luftwaffe, and also we could get copies from WASt at 1-DM a piece. But it was much more difficult to start out from nothing or the books filled with errors, of wich some still lives on today! New York flight comes to mind.

I do feel lucky that I started at that time, having met many veterans, some of them even became close friends!!!!!

Junker
Spot on again. One veteran drove for two hours or more one way from Munich to see me and my wife on holiday in Austria in the late '80s. Couldn't fault that. Another who lived in Berlin sent me a tiny piece of the wall just after it came down. He had invited me and my wife to stay with him and his wife at their place in Berlin. I wrote asking if he could get me a bigger piece of the wall for when we visited. So we are sitting in his front room after we arrived and he staggers in with this big lump of concrete with part of the wall's colourful drawing on it. Jeez, I had to stagger through Customs on the way home hoping I was not pulled and asked to explain my strange walk, lugging my suitcase. Wonderful times, with great people, and speaking to them, what struck you was the ordinaryness (sp) of them. Having come out the other end of that conflict, they had formed lifelong friendships with their Staffel comrades, but all did wonder what the point of it all was. And a lot asked the question: why was an Englishman of my generation interested in the German air force of their generation? Now that is a really tough one to try to answer adequately.

Artist,
"...I somtimes feel like there are some true ? historians that feel that they are the only ones that should be able to contact or talk to the Aces..." Ah yes, I have come across that also. No names, no pack drill, though...

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 19th November 2007, 02:36
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Ju55dk, John and Artist,
Yes, I thing most of us had the same histories to tell, had thrilled the same difficulties and have MET and stablished fantastic friendships amongst the old eagles - to whom, I do believe, we do have the same HUGE respect and honour. This reforces my thesis, that what is done with the information given by the veterans depends of the integrity and moral of the person who receives it. We all know people who sell signed photographs or documents and we do know those who donate their collection to a Museum, or do have Historical interest ( writing a book or even making a personal collection ). I had thrilled the same difficulties and DO NOT GIVE address to others. I eventually have helped many people with documents and photos and was helped by many from this Forum, hoping they will not sell the photos I passed to them...we had to trust to be trusted...This is a two way road as anything else, when dealing with Human beings...
Cordially yours
Adriano Baumgartner ( an admirer of several of you who are Historians with a big "H" - and supporter of the veterans in any way you can imagine ).
Old 19th November 2007, 02:54

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

John, your comments are well received. I started out collecting signed photos in 1984, and my interest was triggered by my uncle, a Luftwaffe pilot who had scored victories in both wars. What initially started out as a hobby quickly advanced to meetings with the vets, not only Axis but Allied, and reunions with many great people, including Gerhard Schoepfel, Guenther Bahr, James F. Edwards, Rod Smith etc. I really enjoyed meeting these people, and wouldn't have missed the opportunities for anything. Now, most of these gentlemen are gone, or are very elderly. I think most want to be left in peace, to enjoy their lives. Having said this, there are still some real Luftwaffe "Draufgaengers" like Walter Schuck and Hajo Herrmann who continue to amaze me.
Old 20th November 2007, 00:47

Horst Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst Kube View Post
... and those hunters even are not willing to pay for the return post costs.

I hate these "Cheap Charlies" and hope, none of the aces ever will give those disgusting, poor individuals any kind and in any form something, which looks like an autograph.
-----------------------

As being one of the "first threes", I want to clarify, that all of the signature searchers are very welcome from/by the veterans.

But - and to be honest, we/I did not understand the original question about "hunters", which are only looking for their own fortune, which only like to make money out from them and asking for many, maybe 20, 50 or more signatures from the veterans

and

even are not willing, let's say just forget, to pay one cent for the postal return costs...

This is, what makes me angry, and this is the reason why I name them "Cheap Charlies" and why I wanted to express this in my personal anger, see above.

All this - and not more, my dear friends, I experience nearly every day, when I read always the same nonesense from those "hunters", as

.... Ohh, Mr. sososo, I admire you already for such a long time, I started collecting aircrafts since I was 15 years old, my grandpa, my father was in this or that unit blablala...

My god, when do you silly nonthinkers please stop that everyday bullshit and just clearly say, what you want:

An autograph and a little bit of small talk, so what??

Sure, most/all of the veterans like it to be petted by you a/c collectors in written or personally given words, but how can they (over 80 years or older gents) be sure, that it is true, what you mean?

Calm down and ask Mr. Rall, Bob, Herrmann, Schuck a.s.o for your wishes -

but please do not forget the stamp for the return.

If you want to know why I personally take money from you/collectors in ebay or in Speyer, the answer is very easy: I give all the money from you to my friends, the veterans.

Thanks for your attention, Horst
Old 20th November 2007, 00:58

mayfair35 is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen:

I certainly cannot speak for German pilots, but as an American ace, I see no reason why someone who is collecting autographs for a private collection should not ask for my autograph. I receive several such requests and try to honor them when possible. Sometimes it takes awhile to get it done due to other more pressing problems.

However, some of the comments in this thread are correct. Occasionally I do get requests for autographs and pictures with no return postage. I usually ignore this type of request. In the last ten years, I doubt that I received more than two such requests. I also object to the individual who asks more than once. There is one person who every 8 months or so asks for 5 or more autographs at a time. Forget him! One individual did not ASK but TOLD me to send him my A-2 jacket, flight suit, and helmet. So occasionally, I expect to get a request from someone who is stupid or perhaps has a mental problem, and I try to handle it as the occasion requires.

BUT, there are many, many folks who have sent me drawings of my airplane or other things, and seem to be a very fine, patriotic individuals. It is my pleasure to assist them. I believe most of my comrades think and respond on this matter as I do.

Cordially, Art Fiedler
Old 20th November 2007, 03:47

Artist is on a distinguished road

Dear Horst, WOW! do you make me feel like a total oss.Although I have always sent postage for my paintings to be signed, I never did for autographed photos. My dumb oss never thought of all the other requests these great men get from around the world. I must say I have never wrote to a Luft Ace that did not respond to my letters. Walter Krupinski was one of the best for sending back letters and info.One of the last responses I got from him was written by his son in law because he was so ill, but still wanted to respond to my letter! For now on I will send postage and more, (to cover the price of the print!) Thank you for making me think! all the best Robert
Old 20th November 2007, 06:04

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

Well after posting this query, It is obvious there are many agendas closly guarded by certain members. I have always found if I send a bit of cash and a stamped, self addressed envelope, I or my collecting partner have great luck in receiving answers to questions, and a signed item or two.
I have never sold any signed item, am not a seller on ebay or epier or elswhere. A trade here or there is fine when I have an extra and somthing offered is interesting.
I am collecting Luftwaffe pilot and other Wehrmacht veterns signatures, And will be passing them on to my Boy's in the hope? they will get the same enjoyment from researching the Vet's involved. And also from holding a piece of history, that a person like Heinz Bär or Hans Rudel, Udo Cordes, or many of the other heros held when they signed it. I have built a collection to be proud of, and Yes, somday the Boys, (Aged 5 and 9) may decide to sell them, that is up to them, I personally hope my passion for this rubs off on them? In the mean time I will keep "bugging", "Harassing" or whatever else this has been called? See above posts... I call it politely requesting these signed items from these Vets, and sending off a few Bucks to suppliment the pension check, And if they decide not to reply? I do not mind if they keep the $$$$ and have a Beer on me, I owe it to them for the time they have picked my imagination with stories of combat!!!!!!
Kevin
Old 20th November 2007, 23:45

advsmt is on a distinguished road

I have read this thread with great interest, and am always surprised at the breath of reaction and depth of feeling that runs through the people who all share the same basic interest as me. I collect RK signatures, or at least that is my obsession, but it is the people behind the signature that makes it an obsession. I started writing to RK holders in 1990 and in the space of 10 years wrote to well over 1000. I have over 380 Jagdflieger RK signatures. The vast majority replied, often with long letters and asking about my own military career. It never ceased to amaze me how engaging and courteous they were, and how they obviously enjoyed corresponding. I always enclosed money and a stamped address envelope, and wrote in both German and English. I stopped writing 7 years ago because I often got replies from family announcing that the veteran had passed away. I was fortunate, as many have said, that I started this 17 years ago. For me it was time to stop. Wolfgang Spate often said how he detested the trade in his signatures, but he never stopped replying. That was a recurring theme. I know many might disagree with my obsession, my wife for one. But it brings to life the books that many of you write. There are few authors but many people like me, well intentioned but maybe not as worthy, but we all share in the lives of others.