Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st December 2018, 16:36

JoeHackett is on a distinguished road
Re: Obfw Robert Roller and Shoot Luke

Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I am very interested in the information you have regarding 6./JG3 on this date. As soon as my account is activated by admin (I'm a new member), I will send you a message.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 21st December 2018, 16:38

I have created and continually update a website in honor of the 10 crewmen that were lost in the B-24 Shoot Luke. If anyone is interested, this link will take you there: Shoot Luke Memorial Website.
Old 28th December 2018, 23:19

Might anyone have information regarding JG 11 and/or JG 25's interception of the bomber formation on 18 Oct 43? I'm wondering if they were able to make contact with the B-24's that day.

I've attached a copy of the enemy aircraft encounters summary from the official mission report from the 8th Air Force.

Thank you in advance!
Old 23rd February 2019, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob van den nieuwendijk View Post
Hello all,

On 18 Oct 43 II./JG 3 took off to intercept the B-24 diversion formation. Only a part of 6./JG 3, led by Staffelkapitän Hauptmann Paul Stolte, was able to make contact with the USA formation. Roller did indeed attack the B-24 formation that day; on the return route he made a belly landing, due to fuel shortage, possibly at Terschelling. I cannot confirm if Roller or Hoyer claimed a B-24 that day.

@ JoeHackett, you can contact me off board.

Best regards,
Rob
Rob,

Thank you again for this information. What is the best way to contact you off board? I appreciate your time!

Many thanks,
Joe
Old 23rd February 2020, 04:05

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road

How many air to air victories did Obfw. Robert Roller had in total during WWII? Did Roller survived WWII. If so what was his postwar career?

Edward L. Hsiao
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:58
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi

By October 1943 ALL Luftwaffe units had gone over to the daily claims West and East i.e ALL claims over Russia on one sheet, and likewise all claims in the West on one sheet, so ALL claimants should be on this one day in the West microfilm, and there is only one name for 18th October 1943 Hauptmann Paul-August Stolte who claimed a B-24 at 1326 hrs and 8000 metres, he flew for 6./JG3. Sorry but don't know the place of the claim, it was his 44th confirmed claim.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward L. Hsiao View Post
How many air to air victories did Obfw. Robert Roller had in total during WWII? Did Roller survived WWII. If so what was his postwar career?

Edward L. Hsiao
Edward,

I've seen various different figures for Robert Roller's air to air victories (between 8-13 depending on the source). Roller did not survive the war, as he was shot down and killed on 18 July 1944. My personal interest in his career is that he (along with his Squadron Commander Paul Stolte and wingman Rudolf Schroder) attacked my relative's Liberator on 18 October 1943 over the North Sea. As stated in a letter written by Robert Roller in December of 1943, he was the only one of these three to survive the encounter with the Liberator. The Liberator never returned home either.

-Joe
Old 23rd February 2020, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hi

By October 1943 ALL Luftwaffe units had gone over to the daily claims West and East i.e ALL claims over Russia on one sheet, and likewise all claims in the West on one sheet, so ALL claimants should be on this one day in the West microfilm, and there is only one name for 18th October 1943 Hauptmann Paul-August Stolte who claimed a B-24 at 1326 hrs and 8000 metres, he flew for 6./JG3. Sorry but don't know the place of the claim, it was his 44th confirmed claim.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Johannes,

Thank you for this information. My research shows that Paul-August Stolte was killed while attempting to return from the bomber interception mission on 18 October 1943. Do you have any more information on his 44th claim, as I wonder if he was able to make this claim prior to succumbing to his wounds or if the claim was made by someone else (perhaps Robert Roller) on his behalf.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 24th February 2020, 10:58
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys

Regarding Roller, he was born on 24th December 1912. Made all his claims with 6./JG3:-

2nd June 1943 Jak-1 1349 hrs 6000 metres Nr.1
5th July 1943 Il-7 20km North of Volcansk 1622 hrs tief metres Nr.2
6th July 1943 Jak-1 30km NE Prochorowka 1625 400 metres A.S.M Nr.3
7th July 1943 La-5 Belyj Kolodes area 1020 hrs tirfst metres Nr.4
10th February 1844 B-17 Magdeburg area 1220 hrs 7000 metres E.V Nr.5
21st February 1944 B-17 Holzminden area 1435 hrs unknown metres U/C
21st February 1944 B-17 1605 hrs unknown metres E.V Nr.6
22nd February 1944 B-17 1345 hrs 7000 metres Nr.7

Kind Regards

Johannes

Tags
18 october 1943, b-24, jg 3, roller, shoot luke